Esteemed Contributor

MARCH 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

Happy March 2022 readers.

This month we celebrate St. Patrick's day. A holiday to celebrate all things Irish. 

Happy reading and please let us know what we should perhaps pick up or place on the bottom of the pile.

Honored Contributor

Re: MARCH 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

Just finished 2 books by Robert Wagner. Excellent. Well written. And kinda fun.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just started reading a book entitled Burial Rites by Hannah Kent. It is a fictional novel based on the true life story of Agnes Magnusdottir who was the last woman to be executed in Iceland in January of 1830. The book tells the story of Agnes's last days as she is awaiting execution for the murder of her master, Natan Ketilsson. Needless to say this book does not have a happy, upbeat storyline, but rather a very sad and haunting one. This is the first book I have read by this author and I will be looking to see what else she has written. 

Valued Contributor

I really liked The Personal Librarian.  I am not generally a fan of historical fiction but definitely recommend this one.  I also just read Oh William!  It was a good read but I didn't love it.  Also just finished Verity.  I read it in one sitting.  A good read but I'm not sure how I feel about the ending.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wish You Were Here, by Jodi Picoult.  Diana and her live-in Dr. boyfriend have the greatest of lives and fulfilling careers.  Diana has discovered a diamond engagement ring in his sock drawer.  So she knows what is going to happen on their upcoming tropical vacation.  Just prior to boarding Dr. boyfriend gets called back to the hospital because the 19 cases of Covid so far in New York as accelerated alarmingly. 

All vacations cancelled.  He convinces Diana to go ahead and he will see her in two weeks time when the horror as passed.   Diana discovers the island is doing the two week shut down as well and as lost her accommodations plus no Internet.  Just a kindly island family who allows her to stay in a primitive apartment until who knows when.  Two months go by and with some limited emails from her very exhausted boyfriend who is on the front lines.  Diana as her own scare in the ocean and fears her end as as come but has it, and when she does wake up where is she and did she ever leave New York after all?   

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

The Hummingbird House

Christmas at the Hummingbird House

Love From the Hummingbird House

The Hummingbird House Presents the Easter Charade

All written by Donna Ball and are extensions of her Lady Bug Farm series.

It seems I am going through a period of only wanting very light light reading material. Just things that are quick and easy and don't require much deep thought or heavy emotions.

I'm sure that will eventually change and I will want to return to meatier subject matter, but for the time being I'm just enjoying some fun and frivolous reads. I think we all go through reading phases.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Respected Contributor

The Favor by Nora Murphy was a good psychological book and which I don't read a lot of.  Interesting plot and I still can't figure out the ending. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finished Lost Roses by Martha Hall Kelly.  Actually I listened to it, and was glad I did.  In this rendition, there were several readers, which made the transitions between the 3 different characters much easier to follow.  The novel begins in 1914, and follows a wealthy New York woman, a cousin of the Romanovs, and a poor peasant girl with horrific Red connections.  It is a heartbreaking story of three courageous women who are brought together by the horrors of war; a terrible reminder of why war is so awful and how our stupid world keeps repeating itself out of greed.  Read it and weep.

Valued Contributor

Just finished The Personal Librarian.
Now I started reading Agatha Christie's Death on the Nile and hope to finish by the weekend so I can see the movie in theatres. 

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished Millionairs Wife by Shalini Boland, for sure a page turner, very good!