Trusted Contributor

Re: M.C. Beaton has passed away

I've been a fan of the Agatha Raisin series! I've eagerly read all of them and then waited for next installment. The Hamish series is good, just haven't warmed up to them like Agatha. I should try to finish that series this year as a little tribute to the author. 

I'm sad to hear of her death. She has given so many readers such joy. May she rest in peace. She was one of the great mystery writers!

Trusted Contributor

I wanted to give an update for all the M.C. Beaton fans out there.  The next Hamish MacBeth book, "Death of a Love", which was supposed to come out on February 6th has been postponed.  Perhaps they are making some adjustments to it, in view of the author's death?  The next Agatha Raisin book, "Hot To Trot" will come out on November 3rd in the US (October in the UK.)

Respected Contributor

@dawg lover wrote:

I wanted to give an update for all the M.C. Beaton fans out there.  The next Hamish MacBeth book, "Death of a Love", which was supposed to come out on February 6th has been postponed.  Perhaps they are making some adjustments to it, in view of the author's death?  The next Agatha Raisin book, "Hot To Trot" will come out on November 3rd in the US (October in the UK.)

@dawg lover  thanks for the update.  I'm looking forward to the Hamish MacBeth book.  I wonder if we'll ever find out how much she wrote and how much was written by someone else (her publisher or editor maybe).  I'm not sure how that works when they want to publish something that may not be completely finished. 

Trusted Contributor

@smoky22 - I would guess that the book was finished, since it was scheduled to come out on February 6th.  But, maybe they're changing the ending, to let Hamish and Priscilla get together, at last?  Or, they might just be spreading out the publication of the books, so they can promote it as "M. C. BEATON'S FINAL BOOK."  I guess we'll see....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Such a loss. I especially used to enjoy the Agatha Raisin series, though later volumes less than the earlier efforts. I also enjoyed the Regency mysteries, which I thought were among her best books. While I wasn't a big fan of the Hamish mysteries, they were still somewhat enjoyable reading most of the time. I never explored any of her other series, of which there were apparenlty a few, but perhaps I will.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...