Trusted Contributor

Looking For Books Similar To Sue Grafton A-Z Series

I loved Sue Grafton's Kinsey Milhone books and read every one of them. They were the kind of stories that made you feel like you actually knew the characters and were right there with them. I always looked forward to the next book and was sad when I got to the end of the series. There will be no more books from her since she passed away a few years ago. Just wondering if there might be another writer with a similar style that some of you readers may be familiar with. 

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Super Contributor

Re: Looking For Books Similar To Sue Grafton A-Z Series

[ Edited ]

I have enjoyed Sue Grafton’s books too.  You might want to check out Diane Mott Davidson’s books featuring Goldie Schulz, a Colorado caterer.

Trusted Contributor

@Sapphiregal 

I enjoyed that series also. One of these days I’m going to re-read them all.

Have you tried the Janet Evanovich series? It starts with “One for the Money” and is currently up to #26.

I also like the JP Beaumont series by J.A. Jance. 

Respected Contributor

I love many mystery series. One that really stands out to me is Alexander McCall Smith's No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency. There is such depth!

I also love Maisie Dobbs, William Kent Krueger's Cork O'Connor books, the Grantchester series, Charles Finch, Donna Leon. . .

Super Contributor

I get all my reading material from my public library online.  I can load them on my e-reader and return them the same way.

That being said, there are two mystery writers whose (real)books I have purchased faithfully.

I have all the A-Z mysteries by Sue Grafton.  I hope someone is able to finish the series with the last book.

The other author whose books I purchase is Marcia Muller.  Her character, Sharon McCone, is a private investigator.

The subject matter being what it is, they are very family oriented,  I would highly recommend them.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you for your repilies! I will look into reading some of these authors.

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Trusted Contributor

Sara Paretsky's V.I. Warshawski series always reminded me of Sue Grafton. V. I. is a hard core female PI. The books are enjoyable and the plots are good. It wouls be good to read them in order as the character evolves.

Valued Contributor

Sue Grafton’s Kinsey Milhone series is outstanding but there is no one truly like her. V.I. As mentioned above is close, but Kinsey is way cooler. Sue did not want anyone else writing her books, so there will not be a “Z”. Sad.

I liked Diana Mott Davidson’s books, but Sue Grafton is way better IMO. Janet Evanovich doesn’t come anywhere near rhe caliber of Grafton, IMO. I liked the first seven of hers and then they became repetitive

I have the last Grafton Book - ‘Y’ - bit I am not reading it yet. I just don’t want them to end. 😉
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The vintage setting of the Grafton series makes it so unique.  It isn't really a cozy mystery series, so instead of cozies I recommend these because of the key role of women in each series.

Monkeewrench series by PJ Tracy

the Joanna Brady series by JA Jance

the Ali Reynolds series by that same author

the Clare Fergusson series by Julia Spencer-Fleming

the Wind River mystery series by Margaret Coel

Valued Contributor

Author Louise Penny. Start with Still Life, her 1st. I was advised here on this board to start there to get introduced to characters. I enjoy her mysteries.