Respected Contributor

I currently belong to a Zoom Book Club.  We meet every Sunday at 7pm for 30 minutes. The genre chosen for this club is Locked-Room Mystery books which I love!  There are 7 of us ( different states) and we'll each have our turn of selecting the next book assignment.  We are having so much fun connecting virtually and has been a lifesaver during the pandemic.  Any book suggestions for me when it's my turn to pick our next selection?  We just finished THE GUEST LIST by LUCY FOLEY...wow!!  

Respected Contributor

Re: Locked-Room Mystery Books

[ Edited ]

Eta: I see it's a genre not a series. I just finished The Guest List and am now reading The Hunting Party by the same author. They're hard to put down. 

Respected Contributor

One writer considered a leader in the locked room genre is John Dickson Carr, also writing under the name Carter Dickson. I use to love reading his books.

Frequent Contributor

What a fun theme for a book club.  Two more recent books are the hunting party Lucy foley and one by one by Ruth ware.  Obviously Agatha Christie ten little Indians or mysterious affair at styles.  Diana Peter Freud is writing a trilogy of clue inspired books.  I read the first one called in the hall with the knife thought the mystery was so good.  They are technically ya but don't feel too young.  It was a group of kids at boarding school who are snowed in and the headmaster gets murdered.  I really want to read her other books in the series.  The second is called in the study with the wrench and the third comes out later this summer.

Honored Contributor

Hmm.  Never heard of this genre, so I had to look it up ....

Locked room mystery

The "locked-room" or "impossible crime" mystery is a subgenre of detective fiction in which a crime is committed in circumstances under which it was seemingly impossible for the perpetrator to commit the crime or evade detection in the course of getting in and out of the crime scene. The crime in question typically involves a crime scene with no indication as to how the intruder could have entered or left, for example: a locked room. Following other conventions of classic detective fiction, the reader is normally presented with the puzzle and all of the clues, and is encouraged to solve the mystery before the solution is revealed in a dramatic climax.
Respected Contributor

My zoom book club just finished SHIVER by ALLIE REYNOLDS, wow!  A thriller to the last page!  We are now reading SANITORIUM by SARAH PEARSE.  As long as I've been reading books, the Locked-Room Mystery genre has never been familiar to be until our Book Club started.  We are having so much fun!  

Honored Contributor

Years ago (BC)* when our book club met and it was turn to pick our nexy assignment,my choice was A Favorite ChildHood Book. It was a fun meeting.

*Before Cable

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Respected Contributor

Just got done with my weekly zoom Book Club Mtg.  We will be reading SANATORIUM by SARAH PEARSE.  I learned there are other categories of mystery books besides  Locked-Room Mysteries; WhoDunIt Mysteries, Closed Circle Mysteries & Isolation Mysteries.  As long as I've been reading books, never new there were these extended genres in my favorite type of books!