Super Contributor

Little Witch by Anna Elizabeth Bennett

Does anyone remember reading this as a child?

I stumbled across it on Zulily this morning while looking for children's books to purchase for my daughter (she teaches).

I ordered one for my daughter and I'm thinking about ordering one for myself. I absolutely loved this book when I was a child! I'm sure I must have read it at least 100 times. I can't believe I had forgotten about it until I saw it again.

It was like running into a childhood friend. Smiley Happy

Never mistake kindness for weakness
Honored Contributor

Re: Little Witch by Anna Elizabeth Bennett

Yes, Yes, Yes!  I so loved this book!  I had totally forgotten about it.  Thank you so much for posting this and giving me a big smile this morning.  I highly recommend this beautiful book!!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Super Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 I'm so happy someone else remembered it and loved it too. Can't wait to read it again!

Off topic but I love your signature quote. I enjoy Steve Martin immensely (loved him in the movie "Parenthood") and still have his "King Tut" album. Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@catchersmom wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 I'm so happy someone else remembered it and loved it too. Can't wait to read it again!

Off topic but I love your signature quote. I enjoy Steve Martin immensely (loved him in the movie "Parenthood") and still have his "King Tut" album. Smiley Very Happy

@catchersmom

I'm sure others will be seeing this and remembering with happy thougts, too!

Yes -- Steve is the best!!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@catchersmom  -  I have the book in our bookcase, loved reading it as a child and to our children. 

Did you ever read, "The Wednesday Witch" by Ruth Chew?  I loved her books when I was little.

Super Contributor

@IlliniGirl88 Hi illinois Smiley Happy.

I haven't read that one---is it one you recommend? I'm open for suggestions!

I remember saving my allowance to order "Little Witch" through our Weekly Reader program at school (originally read it in the classroom, the teacher had it in her bookcase). I think the ones we remember from our childhood tend to be really good ones, because they made a lasting impression on us. I can't recall any of the books I did not like lol. (ok, there was Silas Marner...but I was a freshman in high school then and I didn't really care for the teacher leading that discussion)

If you recommend Ruth Chew I will definitely check it out!

Respected Contributor

@catchersmom wrote:

@IlliniGirl88 Hi illinois Smiley Happy.

I haven't read that one---is it one you recommend? I'm open for suggestions!

I remember saving my allowance to order "Little Witch" through our Weekly Reader program at school (originally read it in the classroom, the teacher had it in her bookcase). I think the ones we remember from our childhood tend to be really good ones, because they made a lasting impression on us. I can't recall any of the books I did not like lol. (ok, there was Silas Marner...but I was a freshman in high school then and I didn't really care for the teacher leading that discussion)

If you recommend Ruth Chew I will definitely check it out!

@catchersmom  -  I loved the first three Ruth Chew books.  It was read to us by our teacher in the third or fourth grade, and I also bought it through our Weekly Reader (LOVED those)!  "The Wednesday Witch" is such a cute book.  It's about a girl who opens a bottle of her mom's perfume, and a witch, who rides a vacuum cleaner instead of a broom, shows up on their doorstep.  The witch's cat unknowingly stays at the girl's home and fun mischief ensues from there.  It's such a sweet, cute Halloween book and brings back such happy memories!

The other two books of hers that I like are, "The Witch's Buttons" and "What the Witch Left."  My favorite of the three is "The Wednesday Witch" and we read it every Halloween.  Let me know if you get it. 

Super Contributor

@IlliniGirl88 I checked it out on Amazon and decided to purchase....a few haha...

Ended up getting: Wednesday Witch, No Such Thing As A Witch, The Trouble with Magic, and Magic in the Park.

I can see it now--my daughter's students are going to think she's a witch Smiley Wink.

At least they should behave well then lol!

Thanks for the recommendation, I think we are both going to enjoy them Smiley Happy

P.S. my daughter has always been a huge fan of Halloween, these are going to be right up her alley! One of her favorite movies is "Halloween Town"