Frequent Contributor

Re: Listening to my first audio book

Many....many years ago I just wasn't able to listen to audio books. I found I couldn't concentrate on them, even though I'm an avid reader. However, a little over a year ago, I decided to give them a try again. I walk three days a week, and I was getting tired of listening to music. Now I'm hooked! It's a great motivator too because I get so caught up listening I don't want to stop walking! Some days I'll even listen while doing chores around the house. We have a fabulous library system here that I borrow the books from using Hoopla and Overdive. I have those apps on my phone. So I borrow the audiobooks, download them to my phone, and plug in the earbuds. I haven't taken the next step yet and gotten wireless earbuds. My phone is usually in my pocket. I return the book when I'm finished or it retuns in 21 days. If for some reason I didn't get to finish, I just borrow again. And it picks up where I left off. 

I agree about the narrator, pronunciation, and inflection. A narrator can make or break an audiobook. A book may be the best ever, but if the narrator gets on my last nerve, nope-nada, it's going to be a DNF. I'm currently listening to book 3 (which is in a series of 7 books), and this narrator is awesome. I would listen to this guy read the alphabet....backwards!!

Honored Contributor

Those who love these books should name their favorite readers.

Honored Contributor

I like:

Michael Beck

Jan Maxwell

Jan Karon who should always 

read her own books.  I stopped listening when she handed it over to John McDonough (he sounds like he falls asleep while reading)

Davina Porter

Ralph Lister

Caroline Lee (perfection)

Michael Page

some I avoid because they sound discordant to me and distract from the story are

Michal Friedman 

Rachel Atkins

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse I've reserved six more books that were read by the narrators you like.

Honored Contributor

Oh wow @AuntG 😊 I hope you enjoy them. 

What are some that you reserved?  I may want to listen too!!! 

Respected Contributor

Mark Bramhall is my favorite reader. I will listen to any book he narrates.

I also love the readers chosen for the Shopaholic series (very humorous!) and the Miss Julia books.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bill Bryson reading his books (travel memoirs) are a fun diversion. 

Some to try are A Walk in the Woods, I'm a Stranger Here Myself, Down Under and At Home 

One thing about audible.com that is nice is you can preview their readers on their website. 

@insomniac2 I'll check out the reader you like.   Thanks for the suggestion!

I just previewed him on audible and he has a great voice! Have a few book on my wish list. The Architect sounds good and the Orchardist. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bonanzajellybean, The Orchardist is the first book I heard Bramhall read. I was completely hooked! He also narrated a few Swedish crime books (not my type of thing at all), and I was also enthralled (the series is written by Lars Kepler, a husband-and-wife--I think--team). I looked online for a list of other things he's read: the list is very lengthy, so I'm happy!

Honored Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

Bonanzajellybean, The Orchardist is the first book I heard Bramhall read. I was completely hooked! He also narrated a few Swedish crime books (not my type of thing at all), and I was also enthralled (the series is written by Lars Kepler, a husband-and-wife--I think--team). I looked online for a list of other things he's read: the list is very lengthy, so I'm happy!

Oh really?  I can't get over that!  Lol. I'll definitely listen to it now! 😊