Trusted Contributor

Listening to my first audio book

Home this PM from a surgical procedure. In advance of my surgery, I checked out the audio version of "Echoes in Death". Enjoying how Susan Erickson is doing the voices, especially Roark and Peabody. Nice way to recuperate yet still enjoy a book.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Listening to my first audio book

You're in for a treat with audiobooks. They make any story lively, the characters more developed, and you get through lots of "pages" in no time.  You've picked an excellent convalescing tool. They are also fabulous for long road trips alone or with a full car. 

Enjoy the book. Get well soon. 

Honored Contributor

@joannechaI saw your post (about it being your first audio book).  I think I might try that sometime.

I used to read constantly but since I've gotten old(er) I haven't read very much (except magazines).  

I think I might try an audio book and see if it can hold my attention.  It never used to but maybe it will now.

Thanks for the post and the idea.

Respected Contributor

I hope it helps make for an easy recovery.

I love books on CD. I listen to them in my car all of the time.

My favorite all time book on CD is The Help.

The variety of voices was perfect.

I borrow from the library & they have a great selection.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@joannechaI saw your post (about it being your first audio book).  I think I might try that sometime.

I used to read constantly but since I've gotten old(er) I haven't read very much (except magazines).  

I think I might try an audio book and see if it can hold my attention.  It never used to but maybe it will now.

Thanks for the post and the idea.

@Annabellethecat66  @joannecha

So glad Jancade you are enjoying the book and I wish you a speedy recovery!  

Annabellethecat:  Sometimes I'll get the Whispersync book so I can read or listen or listen AND read.  I like it when there will be names difficult to pronounce, or when it is complicated like historical information where there may be illustrations I want to see or pictures, or when I might want to read in a public place then listen sometimes as well.

That has worked out well for me!  

Respected Contributor

@Sooner I have never heard of Whispersync books, but I just looked it up.

That is cool.

Thanks for sharing.

Respected Contributor

Wonderful! I have lifelong severe insomnia, audio books put me to sleep. Trouble is when I like the book, I keep missing parts, I start over and fall asleep and awaken in the same part. With some books it can happen 5-6 times. Now I save for paper and ebook books I really want to read. I keep others for sleep aids.

Have a fast and easy recovery, and happy listening.

Honored Contributor

I listen to at least 15 audiobooks a month at work.  My job doesn't involve phones or direct client interaction so the books work out perfectly for me.  

Honored Contributor

@joannechaI love audiobooks and prefer them to reading for the most part.  I, too, started listening to them during a recovery and got hooked. Of course, a lot depends on the reader and if they are a good "fit" for you. I've often listened to books simply because I love the narrator so much!  

I hope you enjoy it and it helps to get your mind off of things as you're healing. And best wishes for a speedy recovery. 

Trusted Contributor

@IMW,

I have exactly the same issue, I have insomnia and every night listen to my "bed time story" in my podcast. I am very fond of Audible now also an Amazon company, you can keep all your purchases in your personal library, even return the books that you do not like and the reviews are quite good. It is amazing what a good narrator can do🌻.