Trusted Contributor

I have read all her other books and thoroughly enjoyed them. Eternal has good reviews, but I just can't get into it. I don't like all the Italian words in it that I can't  even pronounce. Have any of you read it?  

Respected Contributor

Re: Lisa Scottoline's Eternal

@geegerbee wrote:

I have read all her other books and thoroughly enjoyed them. Eternal has good reviews, but I just can't get into it. I don't like all the Italian words in it that I can't  even pronounce. Have any of you read it?  

@geegerbee 

I loved it and finished it in 2 days.  I'm so glad she wrote something different for a change and I hope she keeps on writing her series and something different like this one.  As for the Italian words, I guess I didn't notice or didn't care. 

Respected Contributor

@bailysue Re: Lisa Scottoline's Eternal

[ Edited ]

I always look forward to Lisa's books, but I was disappointed in Eternal.  I do like books with a historical background and I'm sure Lisa researched this one and it would be a great story.  But I just couldn't get into it, not because of the Italian words as I have many Italian family members and lived in a predominately Italian area and am familar with the background of the story, but there was something about this book that could not draw my interest enough to wade thru it, I tried but couldn't continue with it.  It's back at the library hopefully the next person waiting for it will enjoy it.

Valued Contributor

Re: @bailysue Re: Lisa Scottoline's Eternal

I enjoyed the book very much.  It always amazes me how much of history I have learned through fiction.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Lisa Scottoline's Eternal

I posted some thoughts in the monthly book thread, too, but I'll add to it here.  I hesitated to read this book because I am tired of reading about World War 2.  And the first few pages with all the Italian words didn't really excite me either.  But I have read so many other books by this author that I knew I should give it a chance.  I am glad I stuck with it and I especially liked the second half of the book.  I do think it could have been shortened by 50-75 pages or more and still been good.  I admit that I skimmed through some of the detail.  I kept being amazed at how young the three main characters were as they went through all the tragedy. 

I will say that the best WW2 book I have read in the last few years is Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark Sullivan.  That one is set in Italy, too.  I highly recommend it if you haven't read it yet.