Respected Contributor

Re: Ladies, I need help, recommendations for authors.

Why not try some Classics?

Jane Austen is always a sweet and happy read for romance.

For chills, try the original Dracula or Frankenstein.

The Great Gatsby takes us back in time as do all the tales by Dickens.

The Russian writers are a little heavy duty but now is a good time to tackle them.

I also enjoyed 100 Years of Solitude but it can be a bit confusing.

At one point I read a ton of Agatha Christie mysteries.

Have fun!

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I once liked Belva Plain and Sidney Sheldon.  That's what I do remember. If there's anyone who also liked those authors, and can tell me who else is good for them, I'd appreciate it.  Otherwise, I need to start from scratch.  

Thanks so much.

@qualitygal . I loved those authors too, especially Sidney Sheldon! I would go onto Goodreads . com and sign up, and then you can start seeing what other authors and books you may be interested in. This is such a great site, and I have found so many new authors and books through this site.....It is very safe and they won't constantly bother you with tons of emails.....

I have been reading a lot of mystery/thrillers lately and most of my recommendations come from Goodreads.com, you can also sign up for free book giveaways as well, I have won quite a few books this way. I hope you give it a try! A lot of us here are on Goodreads as well.

Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN  Good idea, thanks, I'll have to try that.  I've made a list for the suggestions on this site (as suggested) so that when the library has it's booksale, maybe I'll find a few of them there.  Someday, it'll open again (I hope!!).

Super Contributor

You might like Ken Follett. He has a couple family sagas series which I liked. I loved Belva Plain.

Trusted Contributor

I'm waiting to pick up my copy of The Splendid & the Vile when our library opens again.  I think I've read all of Erik Larson's other books.  I'm a big historical fiction fan.

Esteemed Contributor

Great suggestions from everyone.  I recommend Hillary Mantel, anything by her.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Super Contributor

You might like Jeffrey Archer too. And I can’t recall the author but Woman of Substance is the start of a family saga!!
Esteemed Contributor

Isabel Allende has written some good sagas: The House of Spirits and A Long Petal in the Sea.  Both novels cover generations. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Frequent Contributor

@qualitygal  I know that I'm about 2 weeks late, however I do remember reading Belva Plain often in the late 90s early 2000s. A similar author was Eugenia Price. I remember the Savannah Quartet series. Her books were listed as historical romantic fiction and they were long, detailed books. She had written several series. The Savannah Series was my all time favorite by her.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NewNickname1x1000  Better late than never!  LOL

I've written this info down from you and when they open the library again, mid-June, we hope, I'll visit and see what I can find.  Thank you so much.

Thanks to the other ladies too, I'll have my list in hand for reference.  Otherwise it's like swimming in the ocean among the fish, looking for that "just right fit" one.