Respected Contributor

I could probably tell you most of the authors and books I've read over the last 10 years on my kindle and it's been a lot.  

I have over 9,000 books on it.  I follow my favorite authors and buy every new book that comes out and then read others in between.  Or reread a series.   Just depends on my mood.   Most of my books are not free books.  But a free book first in a series has gotten me interested in the whole series.  That's a requirement for indie authors.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Trusted Contributor

Re: Kindle really changes the way you read...

I would hate to never walk through a library or book store again ~~ There's something about being surrounded by literature ~ a variety of genres.  I guess it was always instilled in me that this was a "magical" site.

I don't have a kindle but may try using my ipad for reading ~ need to look into the differents apps available ~ need to "get with the times" : )

Lucky enough to live very close to our small town library ~ a beautiful old building with ornate woodwork and draperies & carpet full of rich colors and tones ~ a truly wonderful place : )

Trusted Contributor

Love the fact that I don't have to take 10 lbs of books with me on vacation, especially in light of the weight restriction these days.  Get quite a few of the "deal" books from Amazon too.  Love my Kindle!

Respected Contributor

I love my kindle.  I read more now than ever.  The print in most books is too hard for me to read.  I get almost all my kindle books through my library.  I still go to the library about once a week and check out what they have.  As I've said in other threads, they seem to have the books available that I'm still waiting for on my kindle.  So I do both, but I prefer my kindle.

Respected Contributor

The font size and the fact that I dont need a light on are my favorite features.  Also love that I dont have to return books or figure out what to do with them after I read them.   

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love my paperwhite and it is my preferred way to read for all the reasons others have listed.  However, I realized that I was spending a lot of money because it was so easy to buy new books by all my favorite authors.  I read about 80 books a year, so it was significant.  I had to cut back and my goal for the past year was to use the public library.  Now I put new books on hold, often long before they are actually published, and read "real" books.  

Getting new books through the online library service used by my city is a huge joke.  Many older books are readily available, but new books take months and months to receive.  

I don't care for most of the free and low cost books offered for kindle by Amazon.  There have been some exceptions, but for the most part I have found them lacking.  There is a reason they are free or such a low price.

Amazon is my book store.  I browse often, especially looking for what will be published in the coming year.  I keep an ongoing list of what I have read (since high school, so long ago) and what I hope to read in the future.

Respected Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

I also have a KindlePaperwight which I got 3 years ago.  (I had an earlier version before).  One thing that I love about the Kindle is that I don't need readers and I can easily adjust the type size.

I also love how lightweight it is and I can literally carry a library of many books around with me...to me that's amazing!...it's great when I go visit my mother in Fl and want to bring several books but don't have to carry all of that added weight.

There are some drawbacks though.  If you were to ask me the name of the last book that I've been reading I couldn't tell you without looking it up.  If see a book that looks interesting I'll download it and read it but one doesn't see the name of the book or back cover for that matter by glancing at it like you do with a regular non-ebook.  You have to check "your library" to see the name & author. 

It's also more difficult to go back & forth when looking something up.  It's not as easy to flip pages like you would with a paper book.  So for certain books like cookbooks, self help or reference books I think a paper one is easier but I love my Kindle for novels!

I love reading on my Kindle Keyboard, but I know what you mean in not recalling the title and author of the book I'm reading.  So, I bookmark the title page, the contents page, and each chapter.  Going back to those bookmarked pages has helped me a lot.

Respected Contributor

I went 20 years without reading a book then bought my first nook and been reading daily ever sence. I now have a Nook Glowlight 3 and a Kindle Oasis 7"  and love it.  I have some 200 books paid and free.  I never  read my free books other than the classics. (yet)

I am a huge Dean Koontz and Stephen King fan  and I love Bios. I never get to the free books  for Dean and King keep coming out with new books I wanna read lol

Respected Contributor

I went 20 years not reading for I hate hate holding books. When i first found about ereaders it opened a whole new life fo rme.

I reciently rented my first library book and wa suprised at how easy it was. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Aubegirl, I feel the same way!  But I do have to read a few hardcovers to get my books finished. I still love the feel of books in my hands, but I have some arthritis and now have a cast on and love how light the paper white is .