Respected Contributor

Kindle really changes the way you read...

I got my kindle paperwhite over three years ago and since then have not been in a library or book store.  I used to find an author I liked and read everything he wrote.  Now I could not even tell you an author I have read this past year.  I go to amazon and download a few of the free books and read the ones I like and delete the ones I don't.  Occasionally I buy an online amazon book if it looks very interesting.  I saw on Amazon that I had downloaded over 500 books.  I did not read all of them but would be hard pressed to tell you the name of  any of them or the authors. A friend asked me if I had read any good books and I said yes but did not know name or author.  I read them, enjoy and delete.

Respected Contributor

Re: Kindle really changes the way you read...

I, too, use a Paperwhite. I use it in conjunction with my online library services. I put books on hold, when I like an author I try to read all of their work free from the Brooklyn public library. 

I read about 3-4 books weekly and spend nothing. I prefer the Kindle to hard copy since it is easier to hold, but I read both types.

Honored Contributor

I also have a KindlePaperwight which I got 3 years ago.  (I had an earlier version before).  One thing that I love about the Kindle is that I don't need readers and I can easily adjust the type size.

I also love how lightweight it is and I can literally carry a library of many books around with me...to me that's amazing!...it's great when I go visit my mother in Fl and want to bring several books but don't have to carry all of that added weight.

There are some drawbacks though.  If you were to ask me the name of the last book that I've been reading I couldn't tell you without looking it up.  If see a book that looks interesting I'll download it and read it but one doesn't see the name of the book or back cover for that matter by glancing at it like you do with a regular non-ebook.  You have to check "your library" to see the name & author. 

It's also more difficult to go back & forth when looking something up.  It's not as easy to flip pages like you would with a paper book.  So for certain books like cookbooks, self help or reference books I think a paper one is easier but I love my Kindle for novels!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

what’s really nice is you don’t need a Kindle to get books from the library. I load them on my laptop, my iPad, my iPhone and my iPod. All you need to do is load the library app on whatever device you use and you’re ready to go.

Overdrive is probably one of the biggest apps used by most libraries.  You can get the books but you can also get audiobooks that you can download on all the same devices. I often plug my iPhone into my car radio to listen to books. It comes through your car speakers.

I have also downloaded the Amazon Kindle app on all the same devices so that when I buy books through Amazon I can read them on my iPad or iPhone.

Respected Contributor

I wish I could get used to reading on a Kindle.  I finally gave mine away; really wanted to like it.  

Honored Contributor

Do not care for Kindle. I like a book in my hands.

Honored Contributor

Still prefer a book in my hand although I have some free books loaded on my Kindle.
Esteemed Contributor

I like my Kindle, and use it often. I didn't think that I would care for it, but found out otherwise. I use to go to the library every few weeks, but haven't been in one since getting my Kindle. It's true that the Kindle changes the way you read.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

I do I little of everything: read on the Kindle, buy inexpensive real books from our library bookstore and check books out of the library. I like the Kindle and also read on my iPad. The iPad is heavier than a Kindle but I like the bigger screen.  Kindle is helpful for reading large books. I don’t like to pay Amazon $10 or more for a book, so then I go to the library if there is something I want to read.  $10 or less is my price to buy Amazon books.   Our library offers Overdrive where patrons can get free e-book s, but I’ve never done that. 

Honored Contributor

I use my Kindle, but I suspect I'll always relate better to what I read on paper.