Esteemed Contributor

Re: Kindle really changes the way you read...

@sandy53 wrote:

I love my paperwhite and it is my preferred way to read for all the reasons others have listed.  However, I realized that I was spending a lot of money because it was so easy to buy new books by all my favorite authors.  I read about 80 books a year, so it was significant.  I had to cut back and my goal for the past year was to use the public library.  Now I put new books on hold, often long before they are actually published, and read "real" books.  

Getting new books through the online library service used by my city is a huge joke.  Many older books are readily available, but new books take months and months to receive.  

I don't care for most of the free and low cost books offered for kindle by Amazon.  There have been some exceptions, but for the most part I have found them lacking.  There is a reason they are free or such a low price.

@sandy53- I agree that many of the free books aren't great, but like you, I've found some great ones mixed in. As far as my e-library goes, I used to have a very short wait for the best-sellers, but now, there are like 30 people ahead of me with maybe 6 copies of the book, if I'm lucky. I can place a hold on 5 books at a time, which isn't too terrible, and I can take out 7 books at a time for a 3-week period.

I've gotten frustrated with such long waits for a new book, so I've started reading the books I was dying to read maybe 6 months or a year ago. Those books are, for the most part, readily available with no wait. I have SO MANY books I've wanted to read over the years, but then as the newer ones come out, the older ones get forgotten on my list. You might want to try doing that so you'll be a lot let frustrated!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Regular Contributor

No one has mentioned the part I like best about Kindle, and that is being able to download a sample of everything before you commit. I can always tell by the time I finish the sample if this is something I will enjoy. Must have 20 samples lined up to try....some books, such as biography’s or histories, I like having a “real”book and those I can try the sample and then order the “hard copy” if I like

Honored Contributor

While I love my Kindle, most of my reading is on my IPad Mini, and I do a lot of Whispersync where I switch back and forth between reading and listening.  I get a lot of the best books free from the local library.

THe IPad mini is NOT hard on my eyes at all.  Matter of fact, it is easier for me to read on than the Kindle. 

Honored Contributor

Are a Kindle and an e-reader the same thing?  If not, what's the difference?  TIA

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Are a Kindle and an e-reader the same thing?  If not, what's the difference?  TIA

@Tinkrbl44   Yes, they're the same.  Kindle is just the brand name of an e-reader.  Kindle is Amazon's brand.  Nook is Barnes & Noble's brand.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@chiclet wrote:

I got my kindle paperwhite over three years ago and since then have not been in a library or book store.  I used to find an author I liked and read everything he wrote.  Now I could not even tell you an author I have read this past year.  I go to amazon and download a few of the free books and read the ones I like and delete the ones I don't.  Occasionally I buy an online amazon book if it looks very interesting.  I saw on Amazon that I had downloaded over 500 books.  I did not read all of them but would be hard pressed to tell you the name of  any of them or the authors. A friend asked me if I had read any good books and I said yes but did not know name or author.  I read them, enjoy and delete.

How do you delete them?  I'd love to delete all of the books I've  read on my kindle app for Mac.

Regular Contributor

Hi tinkerbl : to delete, go to the title of the book, on your “library” page. Press and hold and it will darken and ask what you want to do....press “delete” and it will ask if you want to leave it in iCloud or remove completely. If you want to keep it on your Amazon account iCloud storage for later, select that. If you are completely done, select remove and it’s gone forever! 😄

Respected Contributor

@dodies

Thank you.   I use the Kindle app on my phone and mac so deleting is a bit different but that worked well enough.

Valued Contributor

I love my Paperwhite, it’s taken me until last year to buy one, because I love areal books! But I do ove it more enjoy day, it’s so light and with my arthritis and hand surgery  it’s easier and more comfortable. Also, hubby isn’t upset that I  have the light on at night ! Best present to myself!