Respected Contributor

Re: Kindle really changes the way you read...

I love Kindle.I can turn off my lights and read late into the night. It's so much better than lights on into the wee hours. I love the point you made OP,  about losing contact with the author and the title with Kindle. Kindle does turn the reading into a stream of consciousness ride where just keep going and you don't stop and take pause as you do with the physical book. Very interestng phenomenon @chiclet But I will never tire of the classics or forget the author and title for some reason.

Honored Contributor

I LOVE my Kindle!  I don't have to buy or deal with books that are just "stories" no pictures or maps.  I can keep loads of them without using more shelf space, take them everywhere with me, read in bed easily, never have to worry about marking a page and read in private in dr's offices and such. 

I love books, but not so much ust now unless they are cookbooks or illustrated books, or have lots of maps and photos and are something I think is beautiful and want to keep.

As a book lover for the paper, bindings and feel, I still appreciate all of that.  But as a reader, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Kindle!  When I go on the road, I can drag books and books and it weighs less than a pop can. 

Respected Contributor

I upgraded  to an Oasis 2 and love it. I never read before there were ereaders.

Honored Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

I got my kindle paperwhite over three years ago and since then have not been in a library or book store.  I used to find an author I liked and read everything he wrote.  Now I could not even tell you an author I have read this past year.  I go to amazon and download a few of the free books and read the ones I like and delete the ones I don't.  Occasionally I buy an online amazon book if it looks very interesting.  I saw on Amazon that I had downloaded over 500 books.  I did not read all of them but would be hard pressed to tell you the name of  any of them or the authors. A friend asked me if I had read any good books and I said yes but did not know name or author.  I read them, enjoy and delete.

@chiclet

I'm at the beginning of the learning curve to try to figure out what to buy.  Just curious ... if you buy an e-book to load onto your tablet, how much do they cost ...  the price range?

Respected Contributor

I, too, love my Kindle and read on it every day, about three books a week.

I have found that if I bookmark the title page with author's name, I can refer to that bookmark whenever I need to.  It is so easy to forget the name of the book and the author, although the name of the book is always at the top of the page for you to read with my Kindle Keyboard.

I also bookmart the Contents page to refer back to that if I need to.

I still read on my old Kindle Keyboard which has the page-press,

no light but that's okay with me.  I can hold it comfortably with one hand.

A friend gave me a book to read that was written by her friend.  I have yet to read it after five months.  Wish it were on the Kindle.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I'm at the beginning of the learning curve to try to figure out what to buy.  Just curious ... if you buy an e-book to load onto your tablet, how much do they cost ...  the price range?

It really depends on the book/author.   Well known authors can be up to $15 or more.  Many are less than $10

Indie authors as low as .99 or free.  Between $2.99 and $4.99 is average for the books I buy.

I put books I want in the wish list and check them daily for price drops.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

what’s really nice is you don’t need a Kindle to get books from the library. I load them on my laptop, my iPad, my iPhone and my iPod. All you need to do is load the library app on whatever device you use and you’re ready to go.

Overdrive is probably one of the biggest apps used by most libraries.  You can get the books but you can also get audiobooks that you can download on all the same devices. I often plug my iPhone into my car radio to listen to books. It comes through your car speakers.

I have also downloaded the Amazon Kindle app on all the same devices so that when I buy books through Amazon I can read them on my iPad or iPhone.

You do not seem to undertand the pourpose  of a kindle. tablets are bad for your eye health. ereaders are designed to be comfort for your eyes  that you can not get with a lcd screen

Respected Contributor

@kcladyz wrote:

You do not seem to undertand the pourpose  of a kindle. tablets are bad for your eye health. ereaders are designed to be comfort for your eyes  that you can not get with a lcd screen

While I love my kindles,(I have 4) I'll go out on a limb and say that's BS spread by ereader manufacturers.  LOL even they sell fires which are lcd screens.    People spend hours on computers. 

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Trusted Contributor

I must be in the minority. I have Kindle Paperwhite and I can't say that I love it. I use my iPad for most of my reading. I do have a ton of books downloaded to the Kindle, but I still find myself using the iPad 90% of the time.

I'm 63 and have noticed that my eyes aren't what they used to be. I now have some trouble reading regular books in bed at night. The iPad is really nice to use (so is the Kindle) and I have found that I'd much rather read from the iPad at night than from regular books. I take both iPad and Paperwhite with me on vacations.

I first got the Paperwhite for my MIL, who was having trouble reading regular books; she is 96 and is still an avid reader. When I gave her the Paperwhite, she held it, she looked at it, she tried it....and didn't like it. I have an old Nook Tablet, so I gave that to her and she loves it. She says the Nook has more of a "book feel" than the Paperwhite...I tend to agree with her. I go into the nursing home every week to download five library books on the Nook for her to read. I know her tastes in books, so I know what she really enjoys reading. Sometimes I'll try a fairly different author from her usual; she lets me know what she thinks. So it works out well with her using my old Nook.....she really likes the Nook best of all.

Which leaves the Paperwhite. I will read from it, but I really do prefer my iPad. So I download e-books from the library on my iPad; I get the free Kindle books on the Paperwhite. And I still do go to the library often to see what new books are available.

Respected Contributor

I like my Kindle most when the power goes out in the winter and I can still enjoy a good read till it comes back on. Also like that DH or I can wake up and read in bed and not have to turn on a light and wake the other. I DO love the feel and smell of a "real" book though. When I read one now I find myself hitting the bottom of the corner of the page to turn....duh.