Valued Contributor

Kindle connection question

[ Edited ]

With libraries in my area still closed, I am thinking about purchasing a Kindle.  However, I do not have Wi-Fi and, of course, I am not visiting my usual places that offer guest Wi-Fi.  I have a TracFone and a computer with cabled internet.

Have any of you set up your Kindle and borrowed library ebooks by connecting via USB cable to your computer?  Any tips or tricks I should know?

Or am I out of luck regarding a Kindle without Wi-Fi access?

Respected Contributor

do thRe: Kindle connection question

I do this.  If you use the app "Libby" to get your books, you will only need the wifi for the short time you are actually downloading the book. 

You will have to have wifi for the download process though.  Then the book will be available to you even without wifi, until the load expires.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Kindle connection question

You didn't hear this from me, just saying......

If you turn off WiFi after you download, only Amazon, Libby and the library know the loan has ended.  Seems to work.  I have never encountered any restrictions on number of loans out.

By all means get a kindle or paper white.  What is not to like about free books?  I have a wish list a mile long, there is much more selection than at the local building.

As to your actual question, I have not tried a cable, but it is supposed to work.  Or sit in your car outside a site?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I haven't downloaded using the USB cable, but you got me curious. So I did a search for "how to transfer library books using usb," and instructions popped up, including a link to the instruction page on amazon for the Kindle, @lynne6was7 

I may just try it!!

Well, never mind. You still need WiFi.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone for your replies.  It seems an ereader is out for me.  I can keep busy in the garden this summer but winter's going to be very boring if the libraries have to remain shut.

Honored Contributor

I forgot to mention that my local library, which is still closed, is now offering curbside pickup.

Perhaps yours will soon, @lynne6was7 , if you like that option.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Frequent Contributor

if you have internet via cable, you only need to purchase a router and set it up to have wifi.  I did it myself years ago and it was pretty clear in the router manual.  Maybe someone can help you?  It probably will take less than 1/2 hour to install.   Its worth it!  I love my kindles.

Trusted Contributor

This may not help you at all, but I read on a Kindle Keyboard. It’s an old model that connects using either Wi Fi or 3G. Before I had Wi Fi I downloaded my books using the 3G connection (cell tower connection). It was sometimes a little slow at downloading but worked just fine. I’ve had Wi Fi for years now, but I’m still using that old Kindle Keyboard because it uses buttons to advance pages instead of a swipe screen. There is no backlight but I just turn on a lamp. I bought my Kindle Keyboard at Best Buy, but you might check amazon to see if they still carry it. I wouldn’t trade mine for any of the newer fancier Kindles.
Honored Contributor

Your Tracfone may let you use it as a hotspot depending on the model of Tracfone you have. I have the LG Premier Pro and can set it up as a hotspot, it then works like WiFi for other devices. If you've got the right Tracfone it's a pretty simple way to get Internet access for other devices. You'll burn through the data on your phone, but books don't need much in the way of data so it's not too bad.

Also, if you check with your Internet provider, they may just give you a router for free. Many do. You can also buy a router for relatively little money ($20 and up) and with more and more devices needing WiFi, it's smart to have it. Get a Kindle first, then an Echo, a few smart plugs, and before you know it you'll be a tech maven.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

I am so happy!!!  I have my Kindle set up and three books ready to read.  One that has been on hold at the library, a mystery I've been wanting to read, and a new mystery that was free.  The freebie is the first in a series, and I've been wanting to find a new author because I'm caught up with all of my favorite authors.

Thank you all so much for your help, especially @gardenman .  I was able to use my TracFone as a hotspot.  I used relatively little data to set up and download.

I haven't had anything to read on a weekend in weeks.  Now I'm all set!