Respected Contributor

Kindle, Nook and Kobo eReaders

Our library recently changed formats so I am no longer able to read ePub library books on my Kindle. Since I doubt that Amazon will change this any time soon, I an considering purchasing a library book compatible eReader.

Does anyone here have a Kobo or Nook? What are your experiences with them?

Thank you, fellow readers, for you input!📚😁

Trusted Contributor

Re: Kindle, Nook and Kobo eReaders

@skyblue

What format did your library change to?  Most I think use OverDrive and you can read that format on your Kindle.

Honored Contributor

Hi @skyblue - I have a Nook and love it! Mine is like a tablet and can connect to the Internet with wifi, but it does not have the link to a phone provider - which is fine since I don't have to pay for it!

It's a good size and I take it almost everywhere. The Barnes and Noble website offers a "Free Friday" selection every Friday on the "Readouts" tab. Usually you can find the information about this in the Electronics forum. A lot of times I can find books that I've wanted to read or that seem to be  interesting at reduced prices.

I did hear at one time a while back that B&N was going to be phasing these out. I haven't seen any evidence of this yet! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@skyblueYikes!  I haven't tried to download onto my Kindle Fire for months, but if Amazon is blocking my library, I don't need Amazon nearly as much as I ned my library.  I already hate my Kindle Fire tablet which is why I've been reading pretty exclusively from the library and this would put me over the top! If I have to buy a new reader or tableyt, I want it to be able to access the library.

Trusted Contributor

@millieshops

Amazon isn't blocking your library.  I exclusively read library books on my Kindle all the time.  I have the more inexpensive Kindle ereader and a Paperwhite and love them both.  I don't care for reading on my Kindle Fire or my iPad - I much perfer the Kindle dedicated e-readers to reading on tablets. Much easier on the eyes and much lighter.

My guess is the OP's library changed over to the more common format OverDrive.  Don't know that for sure though.  That's what the library in one state I lived in did.

Respected Contributor

@itsmetoo wrote:

@skyblue

What format did your library change to?  Most I think use OverDrive and you can read that format on your Kindle.

My library converted to Cloud Library. It is incompatible with Kindle. I don't want to do my main reading on a tablet or phone via an app. @itsmetoo 

Thank you!

Respected Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@skyblueYikes!  I haven't tried to download onto my Kindle Fire for months, but if Amazon is blocking my library, I don't need Amazon nearly as much as I ned my library.  I already hate my Kindle Fire tablet which is why I've been reading pretty exclusively from the library and this would put me over the top! If I have to buy a new reader or tableyt, I want it to be able to access the library.

I can access my library, I just can't download from the library.  I hate my Fire, too, but I love my Voyage! @millieshops

Honored Contributor

@skyblueThanks for that info.  I'm almost ready to bite the bullet and get rid of my FIRE.  Just have to decide what's going to replace it.  Will check into the Voyager.

Honored Contributor

@itsmetooThanks for your reply. My library has had Overdrive for all the years I've had my Fire and I was able to download easily.  But I've not tried for the 6 months I've been in Florida because I pass my local library here practically any time I leave the house.  Still, I don't want to be locked into having to buy books I'm going to read only once for any device, so before I buy I'll do my research. 

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@skyblueThanks for that info.  I'm almost ready to bite the bullet and get rid of my FIRE.  Just have to decide what's going to replace it.  Will check into the Voyager.

@millieshops @skyblue

I used to use my Voyage all the time, and had a number of the Paperwhites as well (I started in 2007 with the Kindle Keyboard).  I got a mini IPad about 2 years ago, and now it is my go-to reader.  I just love it!  The type is easy to read and lit far better than the Kindles, and it does NOT make my eyes tired to read from it.  

It can do about anything else I want it to do, it is light weight and portable, and I absolutely love it.  I never use my regular IPad, just my laptop and the IPad mini.  It gets the overdrive books and the kindle books--have had no problem with it.