Trusted Contributor

Re: Kindle, Nook and Kobo eReaders

@millieshops wrote:

@itsmetooThanks for your reply. My library has had Overdrive for all the years I've had my Fire and I was able to download easily.  But I've not tried for the 6 months I've been in Florida because I pass my local library here practically any time I leave the house.  Still, I don't want to be locked into having to buy books I'm going to read only once for any device, so before I buy I'll do my research. 

@millieshops

Hi Millieshops! I'm the same way, don't want to pay for books when I can read them for free from my library on my Kindle. So don't worry, Amazon still lets you do that. I love my Kindle e-readers and highly recommend them!

Respected Contributor

@itsmetoo wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

@itsmetooThanks for your reply. My library has had Overdrive for all the years I've had my Fire and I was able to download easily.  But I've not tried for the 6 months I've been in Florida because I pass my local library here practically any time I leave the house.  Still, I don't want to be locked into having to buy books I'm going to read only once for any device, so before I buy I'll do my research. 

@millieshops

Hi Millieshops! I'm the same way, don't want to pay for books when I can read them for free from my library on my Kindle. So don't worry, Amazon still lets you do that. I love my Kindle e-readers and highly recommend them!

@itsmetoo @millieshops I just want to read my library books, too!😭

Esteemed Contributor

@skyblue, I am currently reading a library book on my iPad.  I used it to download as I am traveling.  I really don't like reading on iPad.  If you are thinking about a Kobo, my library says the Aura One is the best one to get.  You can download directly to the ereader, no computer required. 

I am still using my Sony which I love.  Sony got bought by Kobo sadly.  I can't borrow from the library with that unless I use my old computer.  My Mac will not load the software for that because it is too old.  My Sony is around 5 years old, aluminum, not plastic.

I now use Calbre library on my MacBook for everything but the Library books.  I will eventually have to buy Kobo.  I am in Canada FYI.  LM

Valued Contributor

I have the same problem with my Kindle and the library.  Our library uses Oneclickdigital.  I installed the app on my phone so I can read library books on my phone.  I like the kindle for reading outside, so I have the free ebooks on it.  I talked with the library and they did not see my kindle being compatible anytime in the future.

Respected Contributor

I have an Android tablet and downloaded the Kindle and Nook apps. I can read anything, any format.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use three apps which work with my library:

OverDrive ~ NOOK ~ axis360

♥chocolate lover ♦ audiobook junkie♥
Honored Contributor

@skyblue wrote:

Our library recently changed formats so I am no longer able to read ePub library books on my Kindle. Since I doubt that Amazon will change this any time soon, I an considering purchasing a library book compatible eReader.

Does anyone here have a Kobo or Nook? What are your experiences with them?

Thank you, fellow readers, for you input!📚😁

Did you check with the library on this, you can't be the only patron with this issue, I can read other formats on my kindle 

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@skyblue wrote:

Our library recently changed formats so I am no longer able to read ePub library books on my Kindle. Since I doubt that Amazon will change this any time soon, I an considering purchasing a library book compatible eReader.

Did you check with the library on this, you can't be the only patron with this issue, I can read other formats on my kindle 

I just found the website,  interesting.  

I don't take that many ebooks from the library, who needs to buy yet another device at this point?

maybe there is a workaround 

Honored Contributor

our library offers

Hoopla, CloudLibrary and Overdrive

I like hoopla the best 

Respected Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@skyblue wrote:

Yes. @jackthebear The attitude of the library is "Sorry, we know it's not compatible with Kindles. Contact Amazon." I did. They are not helpful either. 😕