Esteemed Contributor

my husband was just gifted a Kindle...has never used one before....any website he should seek out on how to get started....any free book website....thank you...he has just read his last library book!!

Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

my husband was just gifted a Kindle...has never used one before....any website he should seek out on how to get started....any free book website....thank you...he has just read his last library book!!

Amazon has free books available, and you can sigh up for a daily email for kindle books on sale. Bookbub is another service you can sign up for with daily specials.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Check with your library system to see how to download ebooks.  

Super Contributor

Re: Kindle Books

[ Edited ]

@nana59 wrote:

@nana59, you do have to have an Amazon account. It will then be linked to his Kindle. On a computer or tablet, you can search for free Kindle books. Find a Kindle edition book that you want, when selected there will be a "buy" selection, select and it will download to the device (device has to be connected to wifi for books to be downloaded, wifi can be turned off when reading). Or on device itself, there should be shopping cart icon, can go there to directly order and download. Also, on Amazon website, you can get answers for all Amazon devices, might to search for exact location but there are a lot of helpful advice. You do have to know what Kindle he has. Hope this helps, it's confusing trying to write it out and to read it. Much easier to do once you get the hang of it. 

Here's a link to the device forum (I hope it works, 🤞)

Super Contributor

Re: Kindle Books

[ Edited ]

Here are a few websites that offer free or inexpensive books. 

Book Websites

booksends.com

instafreebie.com

BookGorilla.com

BookBub.com

Freebooksy.com

Robinreads.com

Kindlebuffet.com

ereadercafe.com

ereaderIQ.com

OHFB.com

Justkindlebooks.com

Bookrebel.com

Ereadernewstoday.com

And as @tansy said, you can check out ebooks from the library. It's a wonderful thing. 

Super Contributor
On Amazon there is Kindle Unlimited for 10.00 a month. You can get 10 books at a time loaded to your Kindle for no further cost. There are genres available. Also you can purchase Kindle books at Amazon. Book Bub is sight that costs nothing. You can then either get books for free or discounted and put on your kindle. My sons got me one about 10 yrs ago, I love it!!!
Honored Contributor

@nana59 

I get short stories collections on my Kindle and pay, well one is 8,000 pages and cost 99 cents.  I just took the collected works of Shakespeare, every play sonnet, etc., for free.  There are tons of free books there.

As for setting it up you have to do it through Amazon if it's a Kindle not any other e-reader.  It's easy because i'm an idiot and did mine in no time Smiley Happy

And there's something called Kindle Unlimited which I'm sure people here will be glad to tell you about.  I don't subscribe since I have way too many riches but many people I know do Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@nana59 

I get most of my books for free from my library. Check your local, county and even state libraries for their ebooks. Mine I can borrow for 21 days. Some of the new releases you have to wait for- you can put holds on them. I'm sure he will enjoy his kindle.

Honored Contributor

If you go to Amazon and their Kindle Books section then sort through to a category or genre your husband likes, and look at the top right, you'll typically see a "sort by" option. If you click on "price low to high" it'll list you all of the free books in that genre/category. It'll sneak in a few paid books from time to time also, but if you keep going you;ll find literally thousands of free books every day. And the free books change from day to day.  Authors are only allowed to give away books five days in a row, so books and then only once every two months (or is it three?) So, each day the free books will change a bit and every five or six days the whole group will swap out.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
QVC Customer Care

@Toot1920 wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

@nana59, you do have to have an Amazon account. It will then be linked to his Kindle. On a computer or tablet, you can search for free Kindle books. Find a Kindle edition book that you want, when selected there will be a "buy" selection, select and it will download to the device (device has to be connected to wifi for books to be downloaded, wifi can be turned off when reading). Or on device itself, there should be shopping cart icon, can go there to directly order and download. Also, on Amazon website, you can get answers for all Amazon devices, might to search for exact location but there are a lot of helpful advice. You do have to know what Kindle he has. Hope this helps, it's confusing trying to write it out and to read it. Much easier to do once you get the hang of it. 

Here's a link to the device forum (I hope it works, 🤞)

@Toot1920   Are you aware that it's against our standards to post links to another retailer?