Honored Contributor

This popped up on my Twitter feed.

Has anyone been there?

What do you think of the design?

Respected Contributor

@lolakimono  Haven't been there, but love the design!

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono, I love it!  I wonder when it was built.  I have not been to KC in about 10 years, but I would have loved to have seen it.  To me, it looks like the perfect library.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

love the book selection....as a design element, not so much.

Esteemed Contributor

I have not been there, but I think it's fantastic.

Reminds me of an evolution of the days when brick buildings would be painted with advertisements, like "Philco".  Or graffiti, or what you see on railroad cars . . . but planned, and "legal".  

Sure is thought provoking.  I wonder if the titles would ever be "updated" - though I think the selection is very thoughtful.  A nice slice of the life of the mind.

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

So cool ~ Love this : )

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I'm from KC and the downtown library is on the trolley line, which makes it easy to commute, meaning avoid downtown parking. I attend evening speaker events a couple of times a year. The book spines were suggested by Kansas City readers and then selected by The Kansas City Public Library Board of Trustees. It was completed by the fall of 2004.

If you haven't visited KC for a while, do know it's had a facelift and is looking good. My daughter is an urban dweller. KC has a 2 mil metro area. Thanks for posting this.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Trusted Contributor

We have gone to KC on business every summer for about the last ten years. I'm always looking for something new to explore so this will be on my list for next summer. As a huge reader I love the look of the building. @lolakimono thank you for always posting interesting and beautiful things.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Respected Contributor

I live in Kansas City  3 bocks away.

That is not the library it is the parking garage  believe it or not. The actual Library  is a bank converted to the library. 

Respected Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

Yes, I'm from KC and the downtown library is on the trolley line, which makes it easy to commute, meaning avoid downtown parking. I attend evening speaker events a couple of times a year. The book spines were suggested by Kansas City readers and then selected by The Kansas City Public Library Board of Trustees. It was completed by the fall of 2004.

If you haven't visited KC for a while, do know it's had a facelift and is looking good. My daughter is an urban dweller. KC has a 2 mil metro area. Thanks for posting this.

If you live in KC  how do you not know that it is not the library?  That is the parking garage ( I parked in it today actually)  the actual library is next door to it.  Itis still a cool design tho