Regular Contributor

Just Finished Small Great Things and I

LOVED it!!!   It was very hard for me to read and I did have to put it down and give it a rest every so often. There was so much to take in and think about and a lot of it was difficult for me. I am white but had a black foster son for many years. He is doing well as an adult and we are very proud of him. But I have to say that there were times when we were just not sure how to  handle certain situations.

Did anyone else finish the book and what did you think ? How did you feel when you finished this well crafted story?  though, I do feel the ending was a cop out.

Honored Contributor

Re: Just Finished Small Great Things and I

Read it and very fast also. Thought it was fab!! Loved the surprise ending. The author also did a great a great job w/ closure. Couldn't put it down.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Esteemed Contributor

I finished reading the book yesterday morning, and I can't stop thinking about it.

I loved the ending; I wouldn't have had it any other way. I was hoping the ending was as worthy as the book, and it certainly didn't disappoint.

This is my second Jodi Picoult book, (The Storyteller was the first) and if her others are as good as this one, I will certainly be wanting to read more of them.

Would anyone like to discuss the book? We can start a thread and mark it **SPOILERS.**

Excellent book!!!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Regular Contributor

I also just finished it - I couldn't put it down.  There were so many situations that I know now, as a caucasian person, take for granted.  This book really really made me think - and I was saddened also by the hatred that some people have in their hearts.  I thought the research the author did for this book was amazing and her attention to detail was terrific.  I highly recommend this book to everyone.  This is especially relevant because of what is happening in our world today.   The ending was wonderful.

I have read a few books by this author.  Some have been Meh, but the Storyteller was also a great one.

Respected Contributor

Have mixed feelings about this book.

First, I think she got the white privilege mostly right. As a white person, I am sure I do not realize how often I am given the benefit of the doubt, treated better than people of color, etc. I don't have to constantly analyze situations/people to determine what is happening or to assure my own safety. That part of the book was heart-rending and made me see how I can never fully understand the experiences of people of color.

So for all of the above, I definitely commend and recommend this book.

I do think, however, there is a danger in the implication that when blacks are confronted by police, it is always - or even usually - with unnecessary violence. Even with my realization that whites are treated better, it's still hard to believe that the police would raid someone's house at three in the morning, break down the door, trash the place, and insist that a professional woman (albeit black) in a nice neighborhood, accompany them to the police station in her nightgown - and then brag about it during cross examination. 

I have read about such behavior by police in drug raids, but (and maybe I am truly misinformed), I have never read an account similar to this in the media.

It almost seemed as if the author felt that white folks wouldn't truly get the subtleties of racism, but had to be hit over the head with it. And it wasn't sufficient to cite the stories of black youth killed by police because the people out there who don't get racism might believe the police were protecting their own safety so she had to show that this is not the case by the example of Ruth's arrest - and treatment of her son.

It also seems hard to believe today with the civil rights protections in place, that a supervisor would actually go so far as to put a written note in the file that African Americans were not to touch the baby. Again, it seems the author thought we wouldn't "get it" if the supervisor just told her verbally to stand down - as would be much more likely (along with an explanation that the father seemed to think she mishandled the baby in some way - in order to cover herself.) I am not doubting that racism exists in the workplace -  I have seen it - but it is much more subtle than overt "no African Americans are allowed written statements."

While my criticisms may seem nitpicking, I think they actually give those who don't want to understand white privilege an excuse to discount it.