Regular Contributor

Jan Karon - The Mitford Series

Hello -- I only just discovered this forum. I love to read so it should be interesting. Have any of you read the Mitford Series by Jan Karon?  At present, I think there are about 13 books in the series, starting with "At Home In Mitford".  I read them all, one after the other.  They are charming; about life in a small town where a 37-year old Episcopal priest embarks upon marriage, and all the other people who inhabit the town.  There is also a Mitford cookbook, which is quite lovely.  Her books are readily available at the library.

Honored Contributor

Re: Jan Karon - The Mitford Series

When we moved to Florida I donated my entire series to our community library. They were very pleased to get them. It is so much better to donate or give away to a friend a good book instead of putting it on a shelf.

Respected Contributor

I could not agree with you more. Recently I was laid up for a while and reread the entire series( from the Library) and it was very comforting. Such a gentle journey with inspiring messages.

Respected Contributor

To add:the book about Fr. Tim's childhood, his parents and half brother certainly went in a slightly different direction. I think this was called the Fr. Tim series, not Mitford.

Valued Contributor

I too love this series; I read it w/my mum.  She'd read a book, then I would &  could chat about it.  

Tho I have always wanted to bake one of those prized orange  marmalade cakes!!  

Years ago, Jan Karon wrote a short story for a magazine & they did a cake recipe to go w/it.  I've got it "some where".  🙂

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours brighter.
Honored Contributor

@3cupcakes

I remember that magazine recipe, too, and it was published in Victoria magazine when Jan Karon was writer-in-residence for 1998.  It makes me glad I saved all my old Victorias.

Here is the link to the recipe in the magazine (it's not quite the same as it is in the Mitford Cookbook, interestingly enough) and is the first time the cake recipe was actually created and published.

http://www.talkofthehouse.com/loving-mitford-orange-marmalade-cake/

(I trust everyone knows Victoria magazine is NOT Victoria's Secret catalog.  They are two completely different things.)

(I just now discovered the Talk of the House blog while searching for the recipe.  It's a very nice blog.)

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Valued Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@3cupcakes

I remember that magazine recipe, too, and it was published in Victoria magazine when Jan Karon was writer-in-residence for 1998.  It makes me glad I saved all my old Victorias.

Here is the link to the recipe in the magazine (it's not quite the same as it is in the Mitford Cookbook, interestingly enough) and is the first time the cake recipe was actually created and published.

http://www.talkofthehouse.com/loving-mitford-orange-marmalade-cake/

(I trust everyone knows Victoria magazine is NOT Victoria's Secret catalog.  They are two completely different things.)

(I just now discovered the Talk of the House blog while searching for the recipe.  It's a very nice blog.)

Good morning, @GingerPeach!   Yay! You remembered about the magazine article!  My brains were scrambled yesterday & I just couldn't remember "Victoria" magazine.  It was/is a lovely magazine, tho I did like the  older issues better.

what a lovely blog "Talk of the house" is.  She's right......that cake really was a character all of its own in the stories!😋  I'll be going back to read to more of her blog too.

Thank you for the link w/the recipe & also for your book tip of the "Dismas Hardy series from a couple months ago. I just ordered no. 1, "Dead Irish".

one day I'm going to make that cake.  😊

Honored Contributor

Hi @3cupcakes

Well, let's see, 2016 subtract 1998 = 18 years.

It's been 18 years since it was published in Victoria, and I haven't made the cake yet either!  Woman LOL  Plus, I also own the Mitford cookbook. 

I'm with you - someday for sure. Heart

I hope you will enjoy the Dismas Hardy series.  I found, once I got into them, it might help to read them in order, although it's not a hard-and-fast rule.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Valued Contributor

Zowie, @GingerPeach!  That 18 years sure seems to have gone fast for me!  😃

time flies.........Gee, I sound just like my 89 year old mum!  LOL

Yes, I agree, if possible, it's nice to read a series in order & was thrilled to find Amazon sent me an "in order" listing of the "Dismas Hardy" series a few days after I had been looking thru several of them on-line.  What a big help.

i'm in the middle of "The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend" by Katarina Bivald & enjoying it so far.

Honored Contributor

@wonderfulworld I didn't like the Fr. Tim series nearly as well.