Honored Contributor

Re: Jan Karon - The Mitford Series

@Judaline wrote:

@wonderfulworld I didn't like the Fr. Tim series nearly as well.

I agree The Mitford series is the best.  I just reread the first one last week since I was missing them.  Never get tired of reading about the lives of Mitford.

Father Tim series is nice to continue on but not as good.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

A timely thread!  I read this series years ago and a couple of weeks ago, decided to revisit them!  What a nice read - I had forgotten how good it was!  Although I admit, I don't think I realized that there were 13 books!  Does anyone have the list of them in order? 

Honored Contributor

The below will help also her web site is really good too.

Enjoy.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/44044-mitford-years

http://www.mitfordbooks.com/

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gonnab wrote:

A timely thread!  I read this series years ago and a couple of weeks ago, decided to revisit them!  What a nice read - I had forgotten how good it was!  Although I admit, I don't think I realized that there were 13 books!  Does anyone have the list of them in order? 

hi, @gonnab,  i hope this will help & happy reading!

Listed in order:  9 total of the "continuting story" Mitford series

1-  At Home in Mitford

2- A Light in the Window

3-These High Green Hills

4-Out to Canaan

5-A New Song

6-A Common Life 

7-In This Mountain

8-Shepherds Abiding

9-Light From Heaven

there are also some "free standing" Mitford books (related to, but not necessary to read in the continuing Mitford story):

1-The Mitford Bedside Companion"

2- Mitford Cookbook and Kitchen Reader"

3-The Mitford Snowmen

4-Esther's Gift

there might be one more "free standing", but i just can't remember it.  perhaps one of the other posters might.

edited to add ps:   "Home to Holly Springs" is the first of the "Father Tim" series.

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours brighter.
Super Contributor

@3cupcakes wrote:

@gonnab wrote:

hi, @gonnab,  i hope this will help & happy reading!

Listed in order:  9 total of the "continuting story" Mitford series

1-  At Home in Mitford

2- A Light in the Window

3-These High Green Hills

4-Out to Canaan

5-A New Song

6-A Common Life 

7-In This Mountain

8-Shepherds Abiding

9-Light From Heaven

there are also some "free standing" Mitford books (related to, but not necessary to read in the continuing Mitford story):

1-The Mitford Bedside Companion"

2- Mitford Cookbook and Kitchen Reader"

3-The Mitford Snowmen

4-Esther's Gift

there might be one more "free standing", but i just can't remember it.  perhaps one of the other posters might.

edited to add ps:   "Home to Holly Springs" is the first of the "Father Tim" series.

Thank you so much for the list. Sometimes I need to check the order if it's been a while since I read the last one.

War Eagle!
Respected Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@wonderfulworld I didn't like the Fr. Tim series nearly as well.

Me either, too dark.

Respected Contributor

I've read the entire series 3 times now.  I will never give away my books! These are my feel good books and I never grow tired of them.

Honored Contributor

I'm not much of a novel reader and I'm not sentimental but there was something so compelling & sweet about this series.   Very addictive.   And like potato chips, you just can't have one.

I read mostly non-fiction, biographies & history.

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

I'm not much of a novel reader and I'm not sentimental but there was something so compelling & sweet about this series.   Very addictive.   And like potato chips, you just can't have one.

I read mostly non-fiction, biographies & history.

Now you need to start on the Cape Light Series by Thomas Kincaid and Katherine Spencer.  She is continuing on without him.  You will love them and there are about 14 of the Cape Light and about 4 of the spin off Angel Island SeriesSmiley Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

I've made the cake several times and it truly is decadent. It's just delicious.

My MIL is a big Mitford fan and we used to give her a book for her birthday. And for her birthday dinner, I will make her whatever she wants. One year, she asked for "The Mitford Cake" as she calls it. It really is delicious. Since then, she has asked me to bake it for her several times. It's a wee bit of a hassle to make, but the results are truly well worth it. And it makes her happy.

A few years ago, we gave her the Mitford cookbook. I have it now and just looked through it again the other day. It's a nice book, with the recipes from the various books as well as stories about the recipes. Interesting.