Respected Contributor

Re: JUNE 2023 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

My first book of June is done and it was a fast one that I read in 2 days.

Miriam Toewes Fight Night.  Quirky family book.

Regular Contributor

I am currently listening to His & Hers by Alice Feeney and really enjoying it: 

"There are two sides to every story: yours and mine, ours and theirs, his and hers. Which means someone is always lying.

When a woman is murdered in Blackdown, a quintessentially British village, newsreader Anna Andrews is reluctant to cover the case. Detective Jack Harper is suspicious of her involvement, until he becomes a suspect in his own murder investigation.

Someone isn’t telling the truth, and some secrets are worth killing to keep.

His & Hers is a twisty, smart psychological thriller. A gripping tale of suspense, told by expertly drawn narrators that will keep listeners guessing until the very end. "

Honored Contributor

@Runner26 wrote:

I am currently listening to His & Hers by Alice Feeney and really enjoying it: 

"There are two sides to every story: yours and mine, ours and theirs, his and hers. Which means someone is always lying.

When a woman is murdered in Blackdown, a quintessentially British village, newsreader Anna Andrews is reluctant to cover the case. Detective Jack Harper is suspicious of her involvement, until he becomes a suspect in his own murder investigation.

Someone isn’t telling the truth, and some secrets are worth killing to keep.

His & Hers is a twisty, smart psychological thriller. A gripping tale of suspense, told by expertly drawn narrators that will keep listeners guessing until the very end. "

i really liked that book too! Thanks for the review. 

Respected Contributor

Recently read books, The Enigma of Garlic, the latest in the 44 Scotland Street series by Alexander McCall Smith.  Always a pleasure.  And The Last Remains, the latest (and the last) in the Ruth Galloway series by Ellie Griffiths.  I will really miss this series.

Respected Contributor

Just finished The Nature of Secrets by Debra Webb.  My first by this author.  A criminal law kind of book.  I thought it was pretty good.  I would read this author again.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished: Someone Else's Shoes, by Jojo Moyes.

It had me laughing from the start to the end at the characters.  Even the ending was suspenseful. A book with many twists. Loved it! 

I'd read Happy Place by Emily Henry just before and couldn't relate to the characters still acting as college students. 
  I've just started Hang the Moon by Jeannette Walls. It's starting as a "Cinderella " story but with more depth. 
   I read on  Libby and always have a free book waiting. 
      📚 📖 🏛️ 🩷

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Finished three cozy mysteries this last, hot week.

1. Catering to Nobody by Dianne Mott Davidson. This was written in 1990 and is the first book in the Goldy Schultz catering series.

2. Candy Slain Murder by Maddie Day. It's the eighth book in her Country Store mysteries and was copyrighted in 2020.

3. Death Casts A Shadow by Patricia Skalaka. This 2020 book is a Door County Mystery and was my favorite of the three since it takes place in my home state of Wisconsin.

Esteemed Contributor

My Internet service went down due to an area wide service outage, starting early Saturday afternoon and was just restored this morning.

This frustrating incident left me plenty of time, to finish my book. I was able to wrap up House Secrets by Mike Lawson.

Trusted Contributor

I was looking for something just light and easy and found it in The Reluctant Farmer of Whiskey Hill by Bradford M Smith. It was an amusing read about a city boy who gets drawn into his new wife's desire to adopt horses and other stray animals.

I also read The Celebrants by Steven Rowley which was about college friends who make a pact, after one of their group dies, to call a funeral for themselves if they are having a crisis in their life. The purpose is so that they can hear how much they are loved and needed while they are still alive. This book was just so/so to me. I just never felt like I knew any of the characters well enough to be invested in their lives. It was a Read With Jenna book club pick and I often like her picks but to me this one was mediocre although many on Goodreads loved it.

I have to ask a question. Do any of you get in reading moods? Like right now I am just looking for books that are light and breezy reading. I don't know if it's my age, the weather or what but I am mostly seeking out books that have stories that are like the literary equivalent of comfort food. I just wondered if anyone else had continuously changing reading needs and desires.

Generally I have pretty eclectic reading tastes and like to read a little bit of everything.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Honored Contributor

Oh yes, I have reading moods @abbalulu. Christmas stories captivate me. I won't read books with heavy or controversial topics. Books are my happy place. My reading topics are much like a Hallmark movie.