Esteemed Contributor

Re: JUNE 2023 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

I just finished reading Random Acts by J.A. Jance.  Which was less then 100 pages. I had no idea when I requested from the library that it would be a Novella. The book was so small I thought to myself that it wanted to be a pamphlet when it grew up. 

I did enjoy it. 4/5 on Goodreads.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MoJoV Yes, read The Kind Worth Killing first.  You will get so much more out of The Kind Worth Saving.  The first book is the best but the second is definitely a good read too.  Enjoy ... come back and review for us.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Love all of Lorna Landvik's books and I think I've read most of hers except maybe 2.  Just finished Last Circle of Love

Trusted Contributor

Today I finished The Hotel Nantucket by Elin Hilderbrand.  It was published in 2022.  I recommend it!  It's about a luxury hotel opening on the island of Nantucket and the staff who runs it.  There is also a ghost who inhabits the hotel because she was murdered there.  It's clever, well-written, and a great beach read. 

I like her books and look forward to her new one that I have on reserve at the library:  The Five-Star Weekend.  She's a graduate of our famous University of Iowa Writer's Workshop.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Has anyone read I Know What You Have Done?

I am really getting annoyed with all the different points of view the story is told from.  I find it very confusing and am ready to PTB after more than 300 pages (in a 600 page book).  Told from the perspective of a whole neighbourhood living at different addresses on a street giving two different time lines, then and now.  Arrrrg!!!  Had the potential to be a good book but I am still struggling to keep it straight.

Update, finished the book.  I don't recommend.  It could have been good but IMO totally missed the mark.

Honored Contributor

@JillyMarie wrote:

The autobiographies

Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing: A Memoir by Matthew Perry.  Yikes, is he screwed up.

I like your review, lol.

Honored Contributor

I have also started  Something she's not Telling Me by Darcey Bell....So again I am reading two books Instinct as well as this new one.

Some-one on this board recommended Something she's not telling us.

It starts off very good!!!! 

Regular Contributor

It was a very interesting book.  Her invention led go the in mention of all pbones.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm halfway though "Wolf Hall" by Hilary Mantel. It's a detailed book about Thomas Cromwell and his relationships to the court of Henry V111. The story is interesting, but not a quick read. One has to concentrate in order to know what is happening, as scenes and characters often change. This isn't a criticism, as Mantel is a very good author. The reader just has to be aware that the book can't be rushed. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Wolf Hollow and Hidden In The Pines by Victoria Houston. These books pick up where the author's Loon Lake series left off. With the smoky air advisories, I've been reading a book a day. These are murder mysteries set in Northern Wisconsin. The author took some years away from the female police chief and her significant other, a retired forensic dentist that helps solve the murders. Being that the series started in 2000, the main characters would be approaching their 80's, so they are 53 and 62 now. I'd give them 4 stars.