Honored Contributor

Re: JUNE 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

@NickNack wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

The Maid, by Nita Prose.  This young woman abandoned by both her parents while under the age of 1.  Raised by her Grandmother who worked for decades for a rich family as a maid raised Molly to clean well and keep her life tidy.  Molly the Maid as she calls herself gets a job in an upscale hotel where her life's work and happiness is keeping footprints off of carpet and fingerprints off of glass.  Molly stumbles upon a mystery with the murder of one of the guests when she finds him "dead in his bed."  Unbeknown to her as well she as found a drug mafia group with a few of the hotel employees involved.  One of which of these fellow employees Molly is very attracted to but all he can see is a  very simple minded young woman.  Molly is very upset to see these men apparently having eaten Powdered Sugar (cocaine) on the coffee table and in an instant as the entire room back in pristine order.  As the mafia men stand their being scolded by this maid for their messes and her quick actions to clean they request her services for all future visits to the hotel when they need to clean out their duffle bags. (bags of drugs)  

This is a entertaining book where I feel like Molly the Maid will be a great deal smarter than she as ever been credited for.

Thank you for posting this along with the summary @beckyb1012.  It sounds so good!  I just ordered it for my Kindle.  I came to this thread to find a recommendation for my next book.

Let me know what you think after you read it.  My librarian and I discussed this book for quite awhile when I returned it.  She loved it as well.  I felt like the book could definitely turn into a series.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

The Maid, by Nita Prose.  This young woman abandoned by both her parents while under the age of 1.  Raised by her Grandmother who worked for decades for a rich family as a maid raised Molly to clean well and keep her life tidy.  Molly the Maid as she calls herself gets a job in an upscale hotel where her life's work and happiness is keeping footprints off of carpet and fingerprints off of glass.  Molly stumbles upon a mystery with the murder of one of the guests when she finds him "dead in his bed."  Unbeknown to her as well she as found a drug mafia group with a few of the hotel employees involved.  One of which of these fellow employees Molly is very attracted to but all he can see is a  very simple minded young woman.  Molly is very upset to see these men apparently having eaten Powdered Sugar (cocaine) on the coffee table and in an instant as the entire room back in pristine order.  As the mafia men stand their being scolded by this maid for their messes and her quick actions to clean they request her services for all future visits to the hotel when they need to clean out their duffle bags. (bags of drugs)  

This is a entertaining book where I feel like Molly the Maid will be a great deal smarter than she as ever been credited for.

Thank you for posting this along with the summary @beckyb1012.  It sounds so good!  I just ordered it for my Kindle.  I came to this thread to find a recommendation for my next book.

Let me know what you think after you read it.  My librarian and I discussed this book for quite awhile when I returned it.  She loved it as well.  I felt like the book could definitely turn into a series.

@beckyb1012   I don't know if you said that about it becoming a series because you knew it would be or if you just felt that way.  Amazon says this about the book:  "In development as a major motion picture produced by and starring Florence Pugh"

I'm going to start reading it tonight.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished By Any Other Name by Lauren Kate, this was a fun book to read, underlying a romance!

Trusted Contributor

For all you thriller lovers out there, I've got a great book for you:  NEVER COMING HOME by Hannah Mary McKinnon.  I would definitely recommend it!

Over the past few months, I have been reading the Roy Grace mystery series by Peter James, and they are so good.  I've read all 17 of the novels in the series and have been so impressed by the quality and consistency of his writing.  I would compare him to John Sandford and J. D. Robb in that every book is dependably good.  The first book in the series is DEAD SIMPLE.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Finiished #3 in Sheila Connolly orchard series,  Red Delicious Death.

Glad I got  to read it since she died in 2020.  I don't think I'll be reading the others in the series or any of her others though.  It was a good mystery which didn't just focus on that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SWEET I think I stopped at #22, also. I think I'm a Joe girl. I don't like the way Ranger eats or how pristine he keeps everything, yet manages to save Stephanie time after time. hahaha Just kind of peculiar. I wouldn't want Joe if he's gonna leave beer cans and pizza boxes on the coffee table, tho, lol. I don't THINK he's like that. His mother and I would never get along, tho. So, mr. perfect isn't here I guess. But I loved reading the books. I'm not going back to reading them.There's a time and place for everything and I guess my time is up.

Esteemed Contributor

A miracle has occurred. This year has been very blah for me with the books that I have been reading. Even the one's that I have enjoyed reading, it has taken me several days to get through. There has just not been a book out there that has grabbed me, made me want to say the heck with everything, stay up late, to finish reading. Until City on Fire by Don Winslow. This is the first book in a trilogy. It's about the mob in 1980's R.I.,  a place called Dogstown. It involves the Irish and Italians. It's gritty, emotional, entertaining, can't read fast enough to see what's happening. I loved it.

This is my first five star rating on Goodreads for this year, and I rarely give those out. 

Esteemed Contributor

just finished  The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides, very good book, and an ending I never saw coming!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dawg lover wrote:

For all you thriller lovers out there, I've got a great book for you:  NEVER COMING HOME by Hannah Mary McKinnon.  I would definitely recommend it!

Over the past few months, I have been reading the Roy Grace mystery series by Peter James, and they are so good.  I've read all 17 of the novels in the series and have been so impressed by the quality and consistency of his writing.  I would compare him to John Sandford and J. D. Robb in that every book is dependably good.  The first book in the series is DEAD SIMPLE.

@dawg lover 

Thank you for the rec ... I just ordered Dead Simple.

I have been looking for a new mystery series to read this summer, and this might do the trick.  Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finished The Jealous Kind by James Lee Burke.  I enjoyed it but did not think it was as good as some of his other books.  LM