Honored Contributor

Re: JUNE 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

@alliswell wrote:

Sunday, September 9th,1956, is when I first saw Elvis on the Ed Sullivan Show. I remember that moment as vividly as the day that JF Kennedy was murdered. There was something about Elvis that no other performer has ever matched.  Last Train to Memphis is the first book of two, and covers Elvis from just before his birth (setting the scene) and then his early years.  This book ends when he goes to Germany with the Army, on September 22 1958, at a mere 23 years of age.  If you enjoy a detailed biography, you will like this book.  This book has definitely given me a better grasp of Elvis as a person (up to the age of 23 anyway), as I really knew very little of his character before. I'm glad I started with this one, it is a good foundation.

Just wow. Love that title and the cover. I would read this because this was my Elvis but I'd skip the second one. thanks

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finished Family of Liars by e.  Lockhart. it was certainly different than I thought it would be but after thinking about it, I liked it.  Family betrayal;, infidelity, deceased family members returning to watch over family members who may make bad choices, teenage summer flings, people who believe that they are entitled and do not have to pay the price.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I loved The Cave Dwellers by Christina McDowell.  It's set in Washington, DC where I live (but I live in the suburbs) and I learned a lot about the different areas, the places, and what a Cave Dweller is.

Respected Contributor

I just finished an old one, The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult; I consider it the best book I've read so far this year. It was a very difficult read, taking place during the Holocaust but I could not put it down. I usually pick up a new book right after finishing one but I just don't know what would quench my thirst now. 

We have a library book sale each fall and I got this one, hardcover, for $1; wasn't expecting much but boy was I ever surprised.

Honored Contributor

@SWEET wrote:

I loved The Cave Dwellers by Christina McDowell.  It's set in Washington, DC where I live (but I live in the suburbs) and I learned a lot about the different areas, the places, and what a Cave Dweller is.

I loved the Cave Dwellers.   Did you read her first book about her life, After Perfect?  It was wonderful and so heartbreaking.  I cried for her while reading it.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Between gardening, family visiting, hockey playoffs and baseball, I've not been reading as much. 

I finished listening to Starfish Moon, by Donna Kauffman.  It's an adorable, light  romance.   

I read Susan Mallery's The Boardwalk Bookshop.  As expected, I enjoyed it very much. I usually enjoy her books. 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

@dmod nj wrote:

Between gardening, family visiting, hockey playoffs and baseball, I've not been reading as much. 

I finished listening to Starfish Moon, by Donna Kauffman.  It's an adorable, light  romance.   

I read Susan Mallery's The Boardwalk Bookshop.  As expected, I enjoyed it very much. I usually enjoy her books. 

Did not know Susan had a new one out.  Just checked at the library and is available, perfect I was going this afternoon anyway.  YEA and Thanks!!

Respected Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@SWEET wrote:

I loved the Cave Dwellers.   Did you read her first book about her life, After Perfect?  It was wonderful and so heartbreaking.  I cried for her while reading it.

@beckyb1012 

I wasn't aware of her memoir.

Honored Contributor

@SWEET wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@SWEET wrote:

@beckyb1012 

It is so sad and her father went to prison.  This was the same situation of Bernie Maddow or whatever his name was but many years earlier.  

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@SWEET wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@SWEET wrote:

@beckyb1012 

It is so sad and her father went to prison.  This was the same situation of Bernie Maddow or whatever his name was but many years earlier.  

Save this link and after you read her book read her father's response to her back in 2013.  The family lived down the street from Hickory Hill.

http://www.tomprousalisresponse.com/