Respected Contributor

Re: JUNE 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

Another book read in 2 days.  Linda Holmes Flying Solo.  It just showed up in the mail. Not sure if it was from publisher or if I won somewhere.  Anyway, it was pretty good.

Respected Contributor

I just finished Local Gone Missing by Fiona Barton.  I thought it was just ok.  It is one of those books that jumps from before and after.  I don't think it was done especially well.  Anyone else read this?  Thoughts?  

Next up Violeta by Isabel Allende.  I like it already.  LM

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Since Karen White just released the 7th and final book to her Tradd Street series I have been busy rereading 1 - 6.  Love those southern ghosts. 

I also have been reading volume 2 of More Than Me, by Crystal Savage Traylor.  I read the first volume back in 2017 and when I saw she was only 20 minutes away from where I lived I looked her up on Facebook.  There was a post on her facebook of our local library showing her book was checked out and when it was due back.  She was commenting how surreal that felt.  I emailed her and told her I was the one who had it checked out.  During Covid she emailed me and asked if I wanted to read early volume 2 plus her other book Reed's Girls.  I told her I was touched but would prefer the actual book instead of a pdf unedited version.  The story line is a car accident takes place and some how these two women change into the other.  One as memories of her other life and the memories of the body she now inhabits.  The other woman only knows the body she is in now.  It is a faith based series and is a very good story line but Crystal is just not quite there yet in her writing abilities.  While reading volume 2 this past weekend I was struck that she thinks we are in her head and knows what she is saying.  It can be confusing.  Her other books Reed's Girls brought tears to my eyes.  A prison guard in a woman's prison in the late 1930's.  It also is faith based and a book that can be read and enjoyed in a couple of hours.  Since Crystal emailed me a couple of weeks ago she had just dropped off the books at the library to give me the heads up I emailed her on Monday night and expressed my enjoyment of all.  

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

I read The Means by Amy Fusselman which was a book that I won about a woman who can't decide whether she is rich or not that wants to build a container home on property that she owns in The Hamptons. I gave it an very average review as it wasn't that good.

I read Win by Harlan Coben which I think is the start of a new series by him. It was pretty good as most of his books are although the actual Win is a character who is hard to love as he is so full of himself-but I think in future books maybe we will discover that his extreme self love hides a vulnerability. One can hope.

I also read Wisconsin Supper Clubs-Another Round by RonFaiola and Annie's Gift by Donald Shinn. I enjoyed them both.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

I just finished Local Gone Missing by Fiona Barton.  I thought it was just ok.  It is one of those books that jumps from before and after.  I don't think it was done especially well.  Anyone else read this?  Thoughts?  

Next up Violeta by Isabel Allende.  I like it already.  LM

Violeta was one I wish the story could go on and on........  

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

Violeta was wonderful! I didn't want that book to end. I feel that way about most of Isabel Allende's writing. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

@abbalulu wrote:

I read The Means by Amy Fusselman which was a book that I won about a woman who can't decide whether she is rich or not that wants to build a container home on property that she owns in The Hamptons. I gave it an very average review as it wasn't that good.

I read Win by Harlan Coben which I think is the start of a new series by him. It was pretty good as most of his books are although the actual Win is a character who is hard to love as he is so full of himself-but I think in future books maybe we will discover that his extreme self love hides a vulnerability. One can hope.

I also read Wisconsin Supper Clubs-Another Round by RonFaiola and Annie's Gift by Donald Shinn. I enjoyed them both.

@abbalulu 

I downloaded The Means from NetGalley.  I love family books so hopefully I will like it.

Honored Contributor

Finished reading The Woman at 46 Heath Street, very good book! It was a quick, easy read with lots of suspense!  

Not sure what I will read next!???? Decisions, decisions!!

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN  I just purchased the Kindle version. please update with your review when you finish thanks in advance!

@CareBears Finished this book today-it was really good! I think you will really like it!

Trusted Contributor

@SWEET  I hope that you like it too. It will be interesting to hear what you thought about it when you are finished. Obviously I thought it sounded interesting otherwise I wouldn't have entered the giveaway from Goodreads but I have found that the books that I have won are hit or miss. Sometimes the blurb about it sounds more interesting than the actual book.

I also don't like giving bad reviews as after all this person has managed to get a book published which is more than I have ever done so when I review it I try to find something positive to say.

It's not a very long book so it can be read pretty quickly.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx