Trusted Contributor

Re: JUNE 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

I recently finished The Investigator by John Sandford.  This is the first book he has written with Letty Davenport (daughter of Lucas Davenport of the Prey series) as the main character.  I know someone reviewed this book last month on the forum.  I have mixed reactions to this book.  It was full of action and smart characters, but the subject matter of illegal immigrants and politics was not interesting to me.  The Letty character was interesting, but I don't think someone so young and inexperienced would have been placed into the situation she was investigating.  It seemed unrealistic to me.  I liked her partner.  The ending of the book made it evident that a sequel is coming so it will be interesting to see how the character matures. 

All in all, I recommend this book with a few reservations.

Honored Contributor

Just finished 2 books about Hollywood history.

"The Man who Invented Rock Hudson"and "Desilu". 

Desilu book is fab. Wouldn't recommended the Rock Hudson book.

If you enjoy Hollywood history anything by Robert Wagner.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I read The Night Shift by Alex Finlay, about two different girls surviving  a mass shooting.  It might sound similar to Final Girls by Riley Sager, but I thought this book was much better.  Interesting characters, and despite a few plot holes, a well crafted story.  I had a hard time putting it down.  

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished Pretty Little Wife by Darby Kane, this was a really good book, and an ending that was beyond epic!  It is a complicated story of murder, very sick human beings, a trophy wife betrayed by her husband, coming from a childhood filled with tragedy regarding her parents,

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just started The Replacement Wife.

@smoky22 , looking for The Night Shift.  LM

Honored Contributor

I got some good ones from here the past couple of days. My library has two on order so I'll have to wait but they sound good.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Attic On Queen Street, by Karen White.  Bk. # 7 and the final entry of the Tradd Street series.  I will miss the ghosts in the Victorian home that Melanie originally inherited as a young single woman who tired to hum loudly enough so she could not hear the spirits talking to her asking/begging for help.  In this final book her whole family is together, husband, twins, and darling step-daughter.  Not to mention her Mom, Dad, and long lost sister.  Of course throw in her crazy selfish cousin and her horrible greedy criminal husband.  (Spin off series of a new book revolving around Melanie's step-daughter, Nora is out now too)

JFK, by Fredrik Logevall.  This  is the first of a two book series biography of President Kennedy.  This book is from his life at birth 1917 until 1956.  My afternoon yesterday just flew by reading the first 125 pages of this 650 page book.  

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

Sunday, September 9th,1956, is when I first saw Elvis on the Ed Sullivan Show. I remember that moment as vividly as the day that JF Kennedy was murdered. There was something about Elvis that no other performer has ever matched.  Last Train to Memphis is the first book of two, and covers Elvis from just before his birth (setting the scene) and then his early years.  This book ends when he goes to Germany with the Army, on September 22 1958, at a mere 23 years of age.  If you enjoy a detailed biography, you will like this book.  This book has definitely given me a better grasp of Elvis as a person (up to the age of 23 anyway), as I really knew very little of his character before. I'm glad I started with this one, it is a good foundation.

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished Moment in Time by Suzanne Redfearn. very good book, and very deep!  A charming good looking man slips a roofie in a shy girls drink and rapes her, it follows how the rape affects her and 2 of her friends, and it shows how the victim is often blamed while the criminal gets away with not even a slap on his wrist!  It was disturbing to read, but it showed close friendships, and a new romance for one of the girls that had vowed to herself no more men. having been hurt too many times in the past!

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

Just finished Pretty Little Wife by Darby Kane, this was a really good book, and an ending that was beyond epic!  It is a complicated story of murder, very sick human beings, a trophy wife betrayed by her husband, coming from a childhood filled with tragedy regarding her parents,

@CareBears This is going on to be read list!!!