Esteemed Contributor

JUNE 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

[ Edited ]

Greetings Readers. We are halfway through the year.

Please join us and share what books you have enjoyed and those that you wish that you had never opened the book. 

Respected Contributor

Re: JUNE 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

Finished my first book of June though started it 3 days ago.

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid.  I enjoyed it but liked Malibu Rising better.  Others would disagree from the reviews I've read.

Esteemed Contributor

I recently started The Lying Game by Ruth Ware.   So far I really like it, it's the first book by her that I've read.  In recent years I can't really think of one that I didn't like, many years back it was Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan, it was so hard to finish that one, I thought it was awful, unless I just didn't get it??    I'm one of those people who has to finish a book I start no matter what.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SWEET wrote:

Finished my first book of June though started it 3 days ago.

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid.  I enjoyed it but liked Malibu Rising better.  Others would disagree from the reviews I've read.

I read Daisy Jones when it first came out in 2019 which was my first book by Taylor.  That led me onto to her others and Evelyn Hugo was one of my favorites.  All of Taylor's books I have been pleased with up until Malibu.  Very disappointing.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

The Maid, by Nita Prose.  This young woman abandoned by both her parents while under the age of 1.  Raised by her Grandmother who worked for decades for a rich family as a maid raised Molly to clean well and keep her life tidy.  Molly the Maid as she calls herself gets a job in an upscale hotel where her life's work and happiness is keeping footprints off of carpet and fingerprints off of glass.  Molly stumbles upon a mystery with the murder of one of the guests when she finds him "dead in his bed."  Unbeknown to her as well she as found a drug mafia group with a few of the hotel employees involved.  One of which of these fellow employees Molly is very attracted to but all he can see is a  very simple minded young woman.  Molly is very upset to see these men apparently having eaten Powdered Sugar (cocaine) on the coffee table and in an instant as the entire room back in pristine order.  As the mafia men stand their being scolded by this maid for their messes and her quick actions to clean they request her services for all future visits to the hotel when they need to clean out their duffle bags. (bags of drugs)  

This is a entertaining book where I feel like Molly the Maid will be a great deal smarter than she as ever been credited for.

Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012 I thought this book was very good!

Esteemed Contributor

I'm reading "Certain Dark Things" by Silvia Moreno-Garcia. It's a dark novel which shows a different version of vampires. The novel takes place in modern day Mexico City. 

Domingo, a young boy living on the streets, becomes involved with Atl, a woman  who is descended from Aztec blood drinkers. A rival cartel is pursuing Atl, so she must try to escape Mexico City before it's too late, along with Domingo's help. 

Ana Aguirre, a cop/vampire hunter, also gets involved chasing Atl,, and joins up with a group of human vigilantes.

This is a very good book. The author mentions different subspecies of vampires and adds her own thoughts about the culture. Recommended for readers who are interested in fantasy, vampire novels. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

Just finished Girl 11 by Amy Suiter Clarke this was an excellent book!  Elle is a woman who lives in Minnesota, who runs a podcast titled Justice Delayed, which focuses on a cold case that has remained unsolved for 20 years.  It goes through all the steps it takes to put a podcast out and all the people involved.  It also goes into a serial killers reasons for his crimes ( though no one really know).

Respected Contributor

Linda Sal, the Amy Tan book  you mentioned was DREADFUL. I'd loved everything I'd read by her. . .but that Drowning Fish book was unbearable.

Read anything else by her: clear your mind of the wretched one.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wildcat, by Amelia Morris.  Friends having their first children in a world full of too much information, misinformation, and some just wanting more followers than anyone else.  Women whose friendship turns to frenemies over whether to vaccinate your child or not, whether you and your spouse stand on you own feet financially or keep taking money from your own Mommy and Daddy.  It is a funny type of middle school girls drama/trauma but new mothers in their thirties.