Trusted Contributor

Re: JUNE 2021 HAPPY READING!! LET'S HEAR YOUR FAVORITES!

thanks Sunala, I love J. Grisham but I haven't tried this book as I thought I might not like it. Maybe now I'll give it a try 👍

Super Contributor

Stayed up late last night to finish Ann B. Ross's "Miss Julia - Happy Ever After".  My 91 year old mom told me I'd never guess who the naked man was. . .and I didn't.  Over the years Mom and I've read all the Miss Julia books.  They're funny, kind and always with a little mystery or two.  They have been the perfect/best received Mother's Day gift I have give, and I'm already sad that this has been reported to be the last novel in the series.  If you haven't read read Miss Julia, you should!  Be sure and read them in sequence and consider sharing the first book ("Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind") with convalescing friends. 

Respected Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

@icezeus wrote:

I just finished The Black Book by James Patterson and David Ellis. It's been quite awhile since I have rated a James Patterson book 5/5 on Goodreads.

I enjoy most of his books, but this one really did surprise me and was fast paced and thoroughly entertaining. 

@icezeus Read this last year, it was really good! I really enjoyed it as well.

Just ordered @CANDLEQUEEN @icezeus !  Thanks.  S

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

@icezeus wrote:

I just finished The Black Book by James Patterson and David Ellis. It's been quite awhile since I have rated a James Patterson book 5/5 on Goodreads.

I enjoy most of his books, but this one really did surprise me and was fast paced and thoroughly entertaining. 

@CANDLEQUEEN @Lilysmom1 

I found out that there is a second book which came out this year.  I have requested from my library. 

The Red Book

Contributor

There's a moment in THE GREAT GATSBY when Daisy comments that she always waits all year for the longest day of the year and then misses it.  So, my tradition is to re-read TGG each year on the day of the Summer Solstice.  Weather permitting, I'll go outside and read it in one sitting.  It's short enough that I can easily do so, and I find that the book's impact is strengthened by reading it straight through.  

Respected Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

@icezeus wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN @Lilysmom1 

I found out that there is a second book which came out this year.  I have requested from my library. 

The Red Book

@icezeus , I got The Black Book this morning.  That was fast!  Will add this one, thanks.  S

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished Miss Janie's Girls by Carolyn Brown, very good book, and with deep meaning about so many different things!  I cried (not happy tears) and I fell in love with several of the characters!

Esteemed Contributor

"The Great Gatsy" is very good. I don't the character Gatsby was that great, after all, but I liked the writing. 

I gave up on James Patterson. His Alex Cross novels are interesting, but some other books of his were disappointing. I'm on the fence about "The Black Book." I have a feeling that I would be one of the minority not liking this as much as others. I have read several books that were highly praised, but that I felt weren't very good. I tend to be skeptical about some books that get rave reviews. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

Recently read:

While Justice Sleeps (Stacey Abrams), a political thriller, some of it too fantastical, but I enjoyed it.

Meet Me In Another Life (Catriona Silvey).  The two main characters keep meeting each other, over and over, as different versions of themselves.  Initially intriguing, very disappointing ending.

The Nature of Fragile Things (Susan Meissner), another book that started strong and just petered out.  Set in the time of the San Francisco earthquake.

The Queen's Gambit (Walter Tervis).  I found the book riveting while I was reading, but in retrospect have a few problems with it.

The Plot (Jean Hanff Lorelitz).  I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't figured out was going on about halfway through.  Still a pretty good book, though.  Stephen King liked it.  It's about writing and what may constitute plagiarism.

Now I'm reading Who Is Maud Dixon (Alexandra Andrews).  So far I'm enjoying it more than The Plot.  They are very different books, but they're both about writing and writers.  

Honored Contributor

A friend recommended a book and it is pretty good, Country Pride.