Esteemed Contributor

Re: JUNE 2021 HAPPY READING!! LET'S HEAR YOUR FAVORITES!

i just finished The Manatee Did it by  Fay Dew Shostak, this was a murder mystery that takes place in Florida with colorful characters!  I enjoyed it!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I finished THE WRONG MOTHER by Sophie Hannah, it was ok, but to tell you the truth her books are weird to me. They start off slow, and then pick up, but then they become too long and drawn out in the middle, and somewhere along the line a little confusing!

The ending was good, but the middle of the book was way too long and convaluted to me.....I have read some of her other books, and feel the same way about them, so I never give them 5 stars! I think she needs a better editor...

Not sure what I will read next! 

Esteemed Contributor

A while ago I read Sophie Hannah's "Woman with a  Secret." The UK title is "The Telling Error." 

I found that book to be long and convoluted. Too much was happening and events didn't seem to connect. It sounds like that is her style of writing. I won't be reading anything else by this author, if that's the case. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Golden Girl, by Elin Hilderbrand.  About halfway through this one and unlike the others I feel this one may have some of Elin's own personal story to the main character's life.  I am enjoying the book very much.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

I read Haven Point by Virginia Hume. This was a family saga which covered three generations of women starting back during the second world war. I enjoyed it and even though it had different timelines it was well done and not confusing.

I also read Good Talk Dad by Bill Giest and Willie Giest. It was a light read.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Respected Contributor

It's been a while since I read a book in one sitting but when it's 147 pages I can.  I finished Winter In Bellaparma by the late Jens Bjorneboe.  I think it was originally published in the 1950s and translated recently from Swedish into English.  It was s short book and interesting and different from my usual reads.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished  After Perfect by Christina McDowell,  very depressing book!  To read how corrupt a father was ro his family, and how physiologically damaged his daughters made me sick!  But this book was very good!

Contributor

I usually have several books going at once every month. At the moment I am listening to the audiobook of THE BEAUTIFUL MYSTERY by Louise Penny. It is book #8 in her series. I have listened to all of them until this point which to me adds to the story.
I am about 75% through HALF BROKE HORSES by Jeannette Walls. So far I'm really enjoying it. For my June online bookclub we are reading THE ORPHAN COLLECTOR by Ellen Marie Wiseman. I'm only on chapter 3 so hard to say much about it. It takes place in 1918 Philadelphia at the start of the Spanish flu. Finally, I have been reading for the last 4 months, OUTLANDER. It has been a goal of mine to embark on the series, but I'm not sure I have it in me. I'm not as interested as most people. I'll finish the first book since I'm about 90% complete, but I won't be picking up the next book anytime soon, if ever.
Respected Contributor

I am about 150 pages into (approx 700 page book) Lisey's Story by Stephen King.  It is a very introspective book about a woman dealing with the death of her husband. I am still on the fence...S

Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

A while ago I read Sophie Hannah's "Woman with a  Secret." The UK title is "The Telling Error." 

I found that book to be long and convoluted. Too much was happening and events didn't seem to connect. It sounds like that is her style of writing. I won't be reading anything else by this author, if that's the case. 

@teganslaw Yes, there is always a misconnect somewhere, that is also how I feel....I think I am also done with her books, just can't get into them like I want to, and this her 3rd book that I have read.....