Esteemed Contributor

Re: JUNE 2021 HAPPY READING!! LET'S HEAR YOUR FAVORITES!

Just finished The Shape Of Thunder by Jasmine Warga, this book was very deep and made the reader think about many things, I enjoyed it!

Respected Contributor

Just finished Hannah McKinnon's Message In The Sand. What a great read.  You may need tissues in a few places while reading this.  I highly recommend this book.

Trusted Contributor

Today I finished That Summer by Jennifer Weiner.  This is her new book, just published last month.  This plot is presented in a very convoluted way.  A woman who was raped when she was a very young teen is, 20 years later, seeking revenge?  Closure?  I don't think she is sure what should happen.  For many years she did not know who raped her.  She finally finds out who was involved and starts on a bizarre journey to deal with it.  The wife of the rapist is the other main character in the book.

I don't think I would have read this book if I had known the theme.  I thought it was a Cape Cod "beach read."  Wrong.   The rape was a terrible tragedy for this character and changed her life forever.  I don't doubt that happens to young women.  I don't recommend this book unless this theme resonates with you. 

Respected Contributor

@sandy53 wrote:

Today I finished That Summer by Jennifer Weiner.  This is her new book, just published last month.  This plot is presented in a very convoluted way.  A woman who was raped when she was a very young teen is, 20 years later, seeking revenge?  Closure?  I don't think she is sure what should happen.  For many years she did not know who raped her.  She finally finds out who was involved and starts on a bizarre journey to deal with it.  The wife of the rapist is the other main character in the book.

I don't think I would have read this book if I had known the theme.  I thought it was a Cape Cod "beach read."  Wrong.   The rape was a terrible tragedy for this character and changed her life forever.  I don't doubt that happens to young women.  I don't recommend this book unless this theme resonates with you. 

@sandy53 

It was totally different from her others but I enjoyed it because it was different.  I also enjoyed Mrs. Everything since that was another departure from her other plots but not everyone agrees with me.

Respected Contributor

@violet runner wrote:

Just about finished The Music of Bees by Eileen Garvin.  Can recommend..

@violet runner 

I couldn't finish it.  I got half way through and got bored.  Wished I stopped sooner but thought it would get better.

Respected Contributor

Musical Chairs. Amy Poeppel

The First Day Of Spring. Nancy Tucker

Local Woman Missing. Mary Kubica

The Perfect Daughter. D.J. Palmer

The Warsaw Orphan. Kelly Rimmer.   Highly recommend

Honored Contributor

Finished Figure 8, a mystery set in the Northwoods. Author is Jeff Nania. Looking forward to the next two installments. Main character is a big city policemen who inherited a relative's house on a lake. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I finished listening to THE BOMBAY PRINCE by Sujata Massey, the third book in the Perveen Mistry series. The 2nd book is still probably my favorite, but it was nice to change up the narrative a bit.  Perveen is the (fictional) first woman lawyer in 1920's India and the first two books were similar storylines in that only she as a woman could talk to other women due to their religious beliefs.  This book was more day to day, working with her father and hanging out with her best friend (and a particular yoga loving Brit that we met in book 2!)  It also dealt with Prince Edwards visit during a tumultuous time in India's relationship with the UK.  Gandhi and independence was part of the story and may or may not have had something to do with a death of a student.  Personally, I just love Perveen so much that the mystery is secondary to me.

I am next off to a wild party in Malibu!

Honored Contributor

A Peculiar Combination: An Electra McDonnell Novel (Electra McDonnell Series Book 1)I just read this, quick read,  WWII genre mystery,  recommend 

kind of like the Rose Code which was excellent

The Rose Code: A Novel

Honored Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@sunala  And what book about WWll would that be?

@Judaline hi, the title is The Girls in the Attic, by Marius Gabriel. I'm not very much into it yet, but I can't wait to get back to reading it. 

I just can't finish any of his books, the covers look so great but meh   I tried the one with Chanel and the hotel

good thing they are Kindle Unltd