Respected Contributor

Re: JUNE 2021 HAPPY READING!! LET'S HEAR YOUR FAVORITES!

@teganslaw 

I generally like that author.  I did not read the title you describe.  What got my attention is the fact that you said there was so much repetition in the story.  I have noticed that same thing in some of the fiction books I read, with various authors.  It makes me wonder about EDITORS.  At the end of a book, in the acknowledgement, the author usually gives a nod to the editor.  It seems to me that a good, sharp-eyed editor would help the author "clean up" the story and eliminate much of the unnecessary repetition.  Just my opinion. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

I just finished "Crash and Burn" by Lisa Gardner. 

Premise: Nicky Frank shouldn't have survived the car accident. The vehicle was demolished, and she suffered serious injuries, yet still managed to crawl down a ravine looking for help. She kept saying that she had to find her young daughter Vero. However, after looking for hours, there was no indication of anyone else involved in the accident. Then her husband claims that they have no children and that Nicky shouldn't be taken seriously since she's suffered three concussions in six months. 

Police officer Wyatt Foster and investigator Tessa Leoni work together to solve this mystery.

I had some problems with this book. It was too repetitious, for one thing. Nicky was obsessed with finding Vero, and readers got that, but the author kept bringing this up every few paragraphs. 

Then there were scenarios with Nicky and Vero talking. Were these memories or just Nicky's imagination? Too many of these scenes and they became monotonous. I got tired of Vero always being mentioned.  

Everything was explained in the end, although it took too long to find out. The book could have wrapped things up sooner with better editing. 2.5 stars out of 5. 

@teganslaw That is too bad, usually Lisa's books are so good, although most of them are rather long.....Sounds like it would have been a much better book with better editing!

Honored Contributor

After The Guest List book was so bad I had to see if Lucy Foley could redeem herself.  So I picked up on of her previous books last week and a much better read.  The Hunting Party.

City Of Lies, by Victoria Thompson.  Book 1 of a series of four books so far.  A woman in the era of the Suffragists protests and living on the edge of polite society but is unlike her counterparts.  She is a grifter and falls in love with an "old money" young man and his family.  They soon learn all her secrets and become a part of her helping their peers with unfortunate mysteries and schemes against them.  Sort of a grifter turned private eye.

City of Secrets, Book 2 where Elizabeth continues helping her new society of friends along with her father/mentor/fellow grifter.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

This was the first book I read by Lisa Gardner. Most of her other books were checked out already. Maybe there was a reason this was one of the few available? 

I will try reading her again. I hope that her other books are better, as they are given good reviews. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

Just finished  Her three Lives by Cate Holahan very good book with an epic ending!

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished The Second Wife by Rebecca Fleet, this is a complicated story about 2 sisters, different as day & night but similar in other ways too, alot of action and pretty good!

Respected Contributor

Yesterday I finished The Nine Lives of Rose Napolitano by Donna Freitas.  This is an interesting book in that it shows nine versions of Rose's future,  She goes through the same situation a few times but with different endings.  A very good book and I needed tissues a few times.  

Esteemed Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@sunala  And what book about WWll would that be?

@Judaline hi, the title is The Girls in the Attic, by Marius Gabriel. I'm not very much into it yet, but I can't wait to get back to reading it. 

@Catty2 - I just finished The Girls in the Attic. Just as I suspected, it was sad and it made me angry. I thought it was well written and although it was longer than I appreciate, I did enjoy it. 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

Just finished The Girls Are All So Nice Here. I thought I would like it but was disappointed. 

Trusted Contributor

Just about finished The Music of Bees by Eileen Garvin.  Can recommend..