Esteemed Contributor

Re: JUNE 2021 HAPPY READING!! LET'S HEAR YOUR FAVORITES!

@Judaline wrote:

@sunala  And what book about WWll would that be?

@Judaline hi, the title is The Girls in the Attic, by Marius Gabriel. I'm not very much into it yet, but I can't wait to get back to reading it. 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@sunala  And what book about WWll would that be?

@Judaline hi, the title is The Girls in the Attic, by Marius Gabriel. I'm not very much into it yet, but I can't wait to get back to reading it. 

Thanks, @sunala , that really sounds intriguing! Really a different premise, isn't it? Gonna check my library.

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@dmod nj wrote:

I tried to read The Clover Girls by Viola Shipman.   I am a HUGE Viola Shipman fan. I've loved all of his books..........until this one.  I found I was unable to keep the characters straight....all the back and forth....I just found it confusing.   I couldn't concentrate.   I'm sure it's me, so I'll pick it up again at a later date.  

I'm currently reading Her Family Secret by Melissa Wiesner.  I'm enjoying it very much.  I only started it a couple of days ago.  

I was listening to Seven Perfect Things by Catherine Ryan Hyde and I LOVED it!  It's a sweet story with some moments of suspense related to the characters' predicament. 

@dmod nj , I feel the same about " The Clover Girls ."  I was really looking forward to reading it, and I didn't like the characters .

Hi @QVCkitty1   I, too, was so looking foward to reading this new book.    There is a lot going on here, all good, but busy.  When my mind is not so scattered, I'll try it again.   I'm glad I'm not the only one, though. 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

My last book of May and beginning of June was a DNF/PTB.  I enjoyed another Tif Marcelo book but this was a flop.  It Takes  Heart.  IThe author was offering people ARCs.  I knew exactly what was going to happen so didn't continue.  Onto the next.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finished (and highly recommend) 'The Boy In The Field' by Margot Livesey.

It takes place in the UK and combines mystery, coming-of-age, philosophy, family, and how different lives are affected by the same incident.

Very well-written with great compassion for its characters.

Synopsis: 

One September afternoon in 1999, teenagers Matthew, Zoe, and Duncan Lang are walking home from school when they discover a boy lying in a field, bloody and unconscious. Thanks to their intervention, the boy’s life is saved. In the aftermath, all three siblings are irrevocably changed. Matthew, the oldest, becomes obsessed with tracking down the assailant, secretly searching the local town with the victim’s brother. Zoe wanders the streets of Oxford, looking at men, and one of them, a visiting American graduate student, looks back. Duncan, the youngest, who has seldom thought about being adopted, suddenly decides he wants to find his birth mother. Overshadowing all three is the awareness that something is amiss in their parents’ marriage. Over the course of the autumn, as each of the siblings confronts the complications and contradictions of their approaching adulthood, they find themselves at once drawn together and driven apart.

Trusted Contributor

Well,I finished Hendrik Groen's .latest last night. I did not finish it because I loved it,it was a short book. What a disappointment it was. Not at all as funny as the others and the whole idea was very boring to me. Maybe his next will be like his own self. 🤨

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished "Crash and Burn" by Lisa Gardner. 

Premise: Nicky Frank shouldn't have survived the car accident. The vehicle was demolished, and she suffered serious injuries, yet still managed to crawl down a ravine looking for help. She kept saying that she had to find her young daughter Vero. However, after looking for hours, there was no indication of anyone else involved in the accident. Then her husband claims that they have no children and that Nicky shouldn't be taken seriously since she's suffered three concussions in six months. 

Police officer Wyatt Foster and investigator Tessa Leoni work together to solve this mystery.

I had some problems with this book. It was too repetitious, for one thing. Nicky was obsessed with finding Vero, and readers got that, but the author kept bringing this up every few paragraphs. 

Then there were scenarios with Nicky and Vero talking. Were these memories or just Nicky's imagination? Too many of these scenes and they became monotonous. I got tired of Vero always being mentioned.  

Everything was explained in the end, although it took too long to find out. The book could have wrapped things up sooner with better editing. 2.5 stars out of 5. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished Game of Cones by Cynthia Baxter, this was good!  An ice cream weekend is planned at an old prestigious inn where a group of strangers are thrust together tp learn about the history of ice cream, and to learn how to make it and taste it.  However, at the beginning of the weekend a tree topples over om the road that leads  into and out of the inn, which leaves the guests stranded. a murder happens at the beginning, and the woman who is charge of teaching at the ice cream weekend takes it upon herself to solve the crime. which ends up leading to ,many secrets revealed!

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

I just finished Game of Cones by Cynthia Baxter, this was good!  An ice cream weekend is planned at an old prestigious inn where a group of strangers are thrust together tp ;earn about the history of ice cream, and to learn how to make it and taste it.  However, at the beginning of the weekend a tree topples over om the road that leads  into and out of the inn, which leaves the guests stranded. a murder happens at the beginning, and the woman who is charge of teaching at the ice cream weekend takes it upon herself to solve the crime. which ends up leading to ,many secrets revealed!

@CareBears I just read A Game Of Cones, by Abby Collette last week and it is about an ice cream shop.  Book number 2 of a new series.  Strange to be so similar and about ice cream too!!  I really enjoyed the one I read as well.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012 I just requested the one you read too!