Esteemed Contributor

JUNE 2021 HAPPY READING!! LET'S HEAR YOUR FAVORITES!

Hi my friends, and happy June to you all. Can you believe we've gotten past the winter, and hopefully the worst of covid as well. 

I've got a nice queue of books on my Kindles that I can't wait to read. One of them is sadly yet another nazi book taking place in war-torn Europe that I started this afternoon. Why do I keep getting involved with these sad books that make me so angry? 

Time for a good entertaining book! Any suggestions? 

See you later xox

Sunny

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

Re: JUNE 2021 HAPPY READING!! LET'S HEAR YOUR FAVORITES!

Ok, this book is as different from what you are reading as you can get. It is what they call a beach read. " Where the Grass is Green and the Girls are pretty, "  by Lauren Weisberger is about two sisters and the lengths some well to do parents will go to to secure their children's acceptance into a " good school ." It won't change your life, but it is entertaining. The author also wrote " The Devil Wears Prada, " and " When life gives you Lululemons. "

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Ok, this book is as different from what you are reading as you can get. It is what they call a beach read. " Where the Grass is Green and the Girls are pretty, "  by Lauren Weisberger is about two sisters and the lengths some well to do parents will go to to secure their children's acceptance into a " good school ." It won't change your life, but it is entertaining. The author also wrote " The Devil Wears Prada, " and " When life gives you Lululemons. "

Thanks - I loved both of those books!

Honored Contributor

@sunala  And what book about WWll would that be?

Honored Contributor

After Perfect, A dauther's memoir, by Christina McDowell.

Before Bernie Madoff and the fall of the financial world in 2008 there was another man with a family in the dark in 2005.   Thomas T. Prousalis, Jr. securities attorney, husband, father of three young girls.  Home down the street from Hickory Hill, and Ethel Kennedy, another home in Nantucket and his own private plane and all the other trimmings.  Christina was left $100,000.00 in debt at the age of 18 due to her father taking out credit cards in her name during and after the trial.  Before I read this autobiography I read her open letter to the makers of the Movie Wolf of Wall Street.  Then I read her father's open letter to her disputing her claims.  While their is fault and accountability on Chritina's part going along with some things she was only18 at the time with a clueless helpless mother.  This is a wonderful book about trying to stay on top in Washington D.C. 

Christina as had a new book come out last week and I cannot wait to read her next work. 

After Perfect: A Daughter's Memoir by Christina McDowell

WOLF' BANE - PressReader

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

I read Under The Southern Sky by Kristy Woodson Harvey. It was a book with an interesting premise about a woman offering to carry the frozen embryos for a childhood friend after his wife dies. However, it was told from so many different points of view that it became confusing. So, interesting concept, confusing execution. But it was a good story.

I also read The Last Flight by Julie Clark which was a very good novel about what happens when two women, who are both running away from something, exchange tickets before their respective flights. I think several of you have read it and enjoyed it too.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I totally forgot I preordered this book that downloaded today. 
It's Hendrik Groen's newest TWO OL.D  MEN and A BABY. Love these books,there so darn funny.

Thank you Sunala for keeping this tread going!

Honored Contributor

I tried to read The Clover Girls by Viola Shipman.   I am a HUGE Viola Shipman fan. I've loved all of his books..........until this one.  I found I was unable to keep the characters straight....all the back and forth....I just found it confusing.   I couldn't concentrate.   I'm sure it's me, so I'll pick it up again at a later date.  

I'm currently reading Her Family Secret by Melissa Wiesner.  I'm enjoying it very much.  I only started it a couple of days ago.  

I was listening to Seven Perfect Things by Catherine Ryan Hyde and I LOVED it!  It's a sweet story with some moments of suspense related to the characters' predicament. 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Esteemed Contributor

I finished Sweet On You by Becky Wade, I enjoyed this book very much!  A mystery of a well known citizen. an art heist and a love story!

Honored Contributor

@dmod nj wrote:

I tried to read The Clover Girls by Viola Shipman.   I am a HUGE Viola Shipman fan. I've loved all of his books..........until this one.  I found I was unable to keep the characters straight....all the back and forth....I just found it confusing.   I couldn't concentrate.   I'm sure it's me, so I'll pick it up again at a later date.  

I'm currently reading Her Family Secret by Melissa Wiesner.  I'm enjoying it very much.  I only started it a couple of days ago.  

I was listening to Seven Perfect Things by Catherine Ryan Hyde and I LOVED it!  It's a sweet story with some moments of suspense related to the characters' predicament. 

@dmod nj , I feel the same about " The Clover Girls ."  I was really looking forward to reading it, and I didn't like the characters .

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan