Esteemed Contributor

JULY 2024 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

Greetings readers. This week we celebrate Independence Day! Hopefully this month we will have a chance to read books that really put a sparkle in our eyes.

Please share your likes and dislikes. 

I am currently reading Golden Prey by John Sanford. 

Honored Contributor

Re: JULY 2024 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

There are lots of good reads currently. So far I've read  " A Happier Life," by Kristy Woodson Harvey, " Same as it Ever Was ," by Claire Lombardo, and "Sandwich" by Catherine Newman. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Super Contributor

Happy July 1st and thank you @icezeus for starting the new thread. 

Finished listening to Pitch Dark by Paul Dioron in the wee hours. It is #15 in the Mike Bowditch Maine game warden series. Yet another riveting crime story in the wilds of Maine, so wonderfully narrated by Henry Leyva.

Respected Contributor

I am more than half way through Eruption, by Michael Critchon and completed after his death by James Patterson.

It is about a major volcano eruption in Hawaii.  Good so far.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Teacher, by Freida McFadden;  Teaching high school math and Eve's husband teaches high school English and is also part of the poetry club.  Their life together is all about the school and of course the students.  

Unfortunately, their love life is nonexistent except for monthly if Eve is lucky.  She turns to her obsession of high designer shoes and the attraction to the shoe salesman.  Meanwhile a bullied and broken teen, Addie who is struggling terribly in Eve's math class but is soaring in her English and poem writing skills with Eve's husband.

The torments Addie suffers from the other students leaves her as an outcast and she is susceptible to the kindness of two different older teachers.  Once lines have been crossed and choices made sometimes all you can do is just put and end to the chaos once and for all.  Who ends up buried in the pumpkin patch?

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

Finished my first book in July.  I Paint The Sky by Laura Kemp.  Usually don't read Western fiction set in 1854 but it was pretty good.

Honored Contributor

I just finished "The Next Mrs. Parrish" by Liv Constantine, the sequel to "The Last Mrs Parrish". It was good but I hope there isn't another Mrs. Parrish surprise. Mr. Jackson makes me skin crawl. 

I'm now listening to "Stillwater Girls" by Minka Kent who is one of my favorite authors and it's really good so far!

Contributor

@GenXmuse aren't these both really intriguing reads.  Enjoyed both.  

Contributor

@beckyb1012  she writes some interesting books. The Teacher was twisted.  Her other series about The Maid are also good.  3 books.  Last one came out last week.  Starting it on Friday.   

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom1  I read where you gave up on She's Not Sorry by Mary Kubika.  I just did the same.  Not my style.

Now I'm reading The Housemaid is Watching.  For a Freida McFadden book this one has had a very slow start.  I'm at 50% and sure hope it gets better. I don't remember thinking that about the first two in the series.