Honored Contributor

Re: JULY 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

I read The Housmaid a few weeks ago and was my introduction to Freida McFadden and it was outstanding, clever and characters that are fleshed out and believeavle. have The Ex is in my queue to listen to as well. This forum is the best place to be exposed to new authors you've never read.

Lately, It seems like I've been reading so many books with Maid in the title. Must be the theme of the moment for authors.  

I'm listening to The Apartment by KL Slater and it's a bit implausible but it's definitely keeping my interest and she's definitely one of my "go to" writers.  

Esteemed Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

How many pages do others read before giving up on a book? I started reading "The Push" by Ashley Audrain, and find it confusing. It's suppose to be similar to "The Bad Seed", but I'm not getting it.

There are narratives by several characters givng their points of view, but I'm having trouble keeping up who is speaking. I'm only about 20 pages into the book, and am thinking of giving up already. Maybe will read a few more chapters. This book was given great reviews and was said to be recommended by GMA. I probably shouldn't go by reviews on TV. 

@teganslaw 

It depends upon my mood. The majority of my books I obtain from the Library, so it's very easy for me to make the decision that I do not like it after so many pages and return it. 

Sometimes I have read a little further if a book has been well reviewed by others, but we all have the point where are like Nope, and put it aside. 

Too many books, so little time. :-)

Esteemed Contributor

@GenXmuse 

I agree 100% with  finding new authors through this thread. I use to sit with pen and paper and go through this thread discovering new authors and writing down recommendations.

It's too much. :-) I finally had to stop. I am one persona and can only read so many books in a year. Not to mention authors that I already enjoy. Now I only write down a name and author of a book if it really jumps out at me. 

My TBR list is still impossibly long. 

Esteemed Contributor

This method worked, but it's a pain so I'll only be posting on certain forums, probably won't go back to Community Chat. Thanks for the information about accessing the board.

I've read 100 pages of "The Push" and it has gotten better after the slow start. I'm used to the format and different points of view and am interested in what happens. This book is not for anyone who wants or is expecting a baby, though. Something strange is going on with the young girl.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

(I was making a comment on the book The Red Tent--not on the crawdad book. I loved the crawdad book AND the movie!)

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have wrapped up a book that I started a few weeks back. The night is forever (Krewe of Hunters #11) by Heather Graham. This is a series that involves FBI agents that have an extra 6th sense and solve murders buy utilizing crime scene evidence and speaking with ghosts.

It's a fun light hearted series that I enjoy. 

Honored Contributor

I am doing my second week this week of jury duty for a trial.  My daily reading and fluid intake is poor at best.  Being in a chair all day then to my office to see whats up I have not read much.  Just checking in and maybe next week will be better I can read and go the bathroom on my time table.  Have great week fellow book lovers!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

just finished THE SECRET LIVES OF BEES. I have to say it was just O K. Ihave heard and read so much about this book that I think I expected much more. It was a good book,but hyped just a little too much I think.

My next book is one probably one very few people will read. The title is,THIS LAND IS THERE LAND. It's non fiction about the Wampanoag Indians,who were living in New England when the pilgrims landed and what happened to them. I am looking forward to this book because this past year I discovered that I have ancestors from this tribe!

Respected Contributor

Since I last posted, I read The Last Collection about Coco Chanel and Elsa Schiaperelli (fiction).  It was a pretty good book and before that I read The Summer Getaway by Susan Mallery.  It was just ok.

Honored Contributor

@Epicurean wrote:

just finished THE SECRET LIVES OF BEES. I have to say it was just O K. Ihave heard and read so much about this book that I think I expected much more. It was a good book,but hyped just a little too much I think.

I LOVED that book. The movie is almost as good! Sorry it was a bust for you.