Esteemed Contributor

JULY 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

Greetings readers. This month we celebrate Independence Day! 

What are you reading? What book do you wish to forget?

I am currently reading The Neon Rain ( A Dave Robicheaux Novel) by James Lee Burke. I wanted to find out a little more about this author so I goggled him, and he is the father of Alafair Burke who is also an author. I have read some of the books that she has written with Mary Higgins Clark

This is the first book in a series that has 23 books, so I hope that I have found a new series to enjoy. 

Super Contributor

Re: JULY 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

I have read the reviews of The Measure by Nikki Erlick and immediately ordered it.  It is scheduled to be delivered Tuesday.  The plot---all adults 21 and over receive a box with a string in it. Long, medium, or short---it represents how long they will live.  Where did the boxes come from, why, how accurate are they?  Do you want to know the length of time you have left?  Some do and some don't.  Various characters react to the mysterious gifts.   Very thought provoking.  Jenna Bush Hager has this book on her Read with Jenna Book Club.  I will be waiting at the door for the mail on Tuesday.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@icezeus  James Lee Burke is one of my favorite authors.  Try to read the books in order.  No big deal if you can't but it helps.  I just finished The Jealous Kind.  You are in for a treat.

I read one book by Alastair, his daughter.  I didn't care for it so I never went back.  I do see good reviews here in the past by others so maybe I should go back and try again.

I am currently reading Violeta by Isabel Allende and enjoying it.  There is a certain easy style about her writing that I love.  LM

Honored Contributor

I'm reading Unmasked, My Life Solving America's Cold Cases by Paul Holes. It's about the impact of the crimes, victims and their families on his own life. It's very good, gripping, emotional. 

I love crime documentary shows, particularly on ID so this book is right up my alley.  

Respected Contributor

@JCath thank you for the recommendation!  Just put it on hold at my library.

Respected Contributor

I will preface the statement about my current read by saying that I'll read anything and any type of book--if it's good.  I like Stephen King to Michael Connelly to Elin Hilderbrand to Celeste Ng and many, many others.  I am currently reading a new author to me--Dolen Perkins-Valdez.  She tells this story in first person, and you feel everything she feels and can really relate to the character.  The title of the book is Take my Hand.  It is very gripping, and I can hardly stop reading it at night.  It is based on true events and is about a nurse in Alabama trying to correct a horrible injustice done to her two pre-teen, poverty-bound patients.  Read the reviews on Goodreads to see if you might be interested--it has 4.3 stars.

Respected Contributor

I just finished a series by  V.M Burns........cozy mysteries about a women who owns a mystery bookshop.   The funny part is that in the book, she occasionally mentions other myster authors and I've read some of those also. 

The only thing I didn't care for is that the main character is writing a book, and the pages she is writing are included in the chapters...............I skip through those parts of the books. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@icezeus  James Lee Burke is one of my favorite authors.  Try to read the books in order.  No big deal if you can't but it helps.  I just finished The Jealous Kind.  You are in for a treat.

I read one book by Alastair, his daughter.  I didn't care for it so I never went back.  I do see good reviews here in the past by others so maybe I should go back and try again.

I am currently reading Violeta by Isabel Allende and enjoying it.  There is a certain easy style about her writing that I love.  LM

@Lilysmom1 

I am a stickler for reading books in order, especially series books.

I am enjoying the book so far except for the Alcoholism, which I hope that Dave Robicheaux can eventually overcome in future books. It's not that I do not recognize that we all have demons in our past or frailties, but for my reading enjoyment it becomes a distraction. 

It's why I had to give up Jo Nesbo as an author, several books in I am just over it. I also know it was one of the main reasons why I hated "Girl on a Train" that everyone semed to love. She was so flipping weak and then add in the alcholisim and I was just ughhh...

Honored Contributor

The Ambition, by Strobel Lee.  A murder of a bookie, the mob, a corrupt Judge, a bored Pastor and another corrupt Senator who looses his seat.  Not to mention a hard nosed reporter trying to get the goods on this Mega Church and their Evangelical Pastor whose dream now is the be appointed the next Senator.  This faith based book was written by a former investigative journalist from Chicago, former Atheist and now a minister and professor in Houston Texas.  I flew through this book it was good.

The Horsewoman, by James Patterson.  Three generations of women living together and working together to make their stables not only have the best horses in the equestrian world but to be the best riders in competition and the upcoming Olympics.  When one of the women is injured her daughter steps up but then as Mom recovers she wants her spot back and of course her champion horse.  Slightly behind the scenes their rich "partner" of the ownership of this horse is trying to out the women and have the glory for himself along with the man who is considered the #1 jockey at this time. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

j cat,THE MEASURE sounds intriguing,think I'll give it a try. Thanks for the info.