Esteemed Contributor

Re: JULY 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

[ Edited ]

Tonight, I wrapped up my top book for 2022. Finding Me by Viola Davis. There have been books that I have enjoyed but this Memoir is on a completely different level. This book in my opinion deserves five large stars. 

The story is gritty, raw, depressing, and exhilarating. It begins with the extreme poverty that she grew up with, simply horrifying living conditions, including domestic violence, sexual assault, constant hunger and so much more.

It's a hard book to get through for at least the first 1/2 . I was so pleased when she finally got to college, but even then her story just holds on tight to you and will not let go.

I have been a fan of Viola Davis for years, I consider hear a great actress, but after reading this memoir my respect for what she has accomplished has no bounds. 

This was a simply a well written awesome story. 

Respected Contributor

The Foundling. Ann Leary

Blood Sugar. Sachs Rothchild

Her Last Goodbye. Rick Mofina

Never Coming Home. Hannah Mary McKinnon

The Lost Summers of Newport. Williams, Willig, and White

Trusted Contributor

I read a very good book called, COUNTERFEIT by Kirsten Chen.  It's recommended by Reese Witherspoon's book club.  A woman needs money, so she joins her friend in the counterfeit luxury handbag industry, substituting fake purses for genuine ones.  It was interesting and well-written, and I enjoyed it.

Honored Contributor

Finished The Trial of Alex Cross-very good, and typical of James Patterson, short chapters and pulls you in right away!

I am now starting Cross Justice, by James Patterson!

Honored Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

Tonight, I wrapped up my top book for 2022. Finding Me by Viola Davis. There have been books that I have enjoyed but this Memoir is on a completely different level. This book in my opinion deserves five large stars. 

The story is gritty, raw, depressing, and exhilarating. It begins with the extreme poverty that she grew up with, simply horrifying living conditions, including domestic violence, sexual assault, constant hunger and so much more.

It's a hard book to get through for at least the first 1/2 . I was so pleased when she finally got to college, but even then her story just holds on tight to you and will not let go.

I have been a fan of Viola Davis for years, I consider hear a great actress, but after reading this memoir my respect for what she has accomplished has no bounds. 

This was a simply a well written awesome story. 

@icezeus I will definitely put this on my list. I love her, and think she is right up there with Meryl Streep~!! Very talented, but also a nice, kind human being! I have read a lot about her in the past few months, and she has overcome a lot and is very giving! Can't wait to read!!!Thanks for your review!

Esteemed Contributor

How many pages do others read before giving up on a book? I started reading "The Push" by Ashley Audrain, and find it confusing. It's suppose to be similar to "The Bad Seed", but I'm not getting it.

There are narratives by several characters givng their points of view, but I'm having trouble keeping up who is speaking. I'm only about 20 pages into the book, and am thinking of giving up already. Maybe will read a few more chapters. This book was given great reviews and was said to be recommended by GMA. I probably shouldn't go by reviews on TV. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

How many pages do others read before giving up on a book? I started reading "The Push" by Ashley Audrain, and find it confusing. It's suppose to be similar to "The Bad Seed", but I'm not getting it.

There are narratives by several characters givng their points of view, but I'm having trouble keeping up who is speaking. I'm only about 20 pages into the book, and am thinking of giving up already. Maybe will read a few more chapters. This book was given great reviews and was said to be recommended by GMA. I probably shouldn't go by reviews on TV. 

@teganslaw I just read this book a few weeks ago and it was good, however it did take me some time to get into! It did remind me very much of The Bad Seed, but only after I really got into it. It starts off rather slowly to me.....It did get really high reviews on Goodreads. com as well. Hope this helps!

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished The Housemaid by Freada Mcfadden, this was a very good book, I read itall day yesterday and finished this morning! A wealthy, charming, rich man appears to all to be the perfect husband until he is not!  A psychotic wife is a slob, jealous is married to the perfect husband who has let herself go and treats her housekeeper like a less than human being,  I was shocked when the truth is revealed, OMG this was so good!

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

Just finished The Housemaid by Freada Mcfadden, this was a very good book, I read itall day yesterday and finished this morning! A wealthy, charming, rich man appears to all to be the perfect husband until he is not!  A psychotic wife is a slob, jealous is married to the perfect husband who has let herself go and treats her housekeeper like a less than human being,  I was shocked when the truth is revealed, OMG this was so good!

@CareBears I love Frieda's books, have read quite a few.. TGhis one sounds really really good-can't wait to get it!

Trusted Contributor

Today I finished The Best is Yet to Come by Debbie Macomber.  It is her latest book.  It is a very good old-fashioned romance.  It has no s*x and no bad words.  The main characters are each dealing with personal losses that have left them struggling.  They find each other and help each other recover.  The female main character is a high school teacher and counselor and there is a good secondary plot involving students and access to drugs.  I recommend this feel-good book.