Honored Contributor

Re: JULY 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

Just finished Elizabeth Gilbert's City of Girls.  Liked it a lot.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Just finished "Street Lawyer" by Grisham. Really enjoyed it. Has a satisfying ending.

IMO, Street Lawyer and The Client were his best and I've read most of them.  Just finished The Judge's List.  It was OK but his plots tend to become repetitive.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finished The Overnight Guest by Heather GudenKaud, this was a Murder mystery spanning over 22 years,  A true Crime Writer returns to her hometown which she fled with her grandparents after she had found her parents murdered in their home, her bother missing and the number one suspect,, and her best friend also missing after letting her hand slip away as she continued to run through the cornfields to flee from the person who murdered her parents!  she feels guilty for years not saving her parents and friend and even thinking that her brother could be guilty, this was a good book!  A bit gory, but it kept me reading to get though to the the truth.  Did it end as I thought

I would yes and no, to understand my question you will need to read the book!

Honored Contributor

Yes .... Just finished "Lord of the World" by Robert Hugh Benson.  It's a dystopian novel .... rather scary that it parallels what's going on in the world now. 

It was written in England in 1907.  

According to Wiki ....

"It has been called prophetic by Dale Ahlquist, Joseph Pearce, Pope Benedict XVI and Pope Francis."

I read it once before about 10 years ago .... totally different take-away after this reading.

--------------------------------------------------

I just started "A Canticle for Liebowitz" by Walter Miller.  It's a post-apocalyptic novel set about 600 years in the furture.

Actually - now that I think about it - entirely logical read to follow Lord of the World.

Respected Contributor

I read The Favor by Nora Murphy.  Feminist version of Strangers on a Train.  I loved the cat and mouse between the detective and the two women main characters.  I couldn't stop reading it. 

Also read Sleepwalk by Dan Chaon.  Amazon says it's "a high speed and darkly comic road trip through a near future America with a big hearted mercenary."  I feel like a dope but I was 30% into it before I realized it was set in the future.  It's quirky and different and I enjoyed it.      

Respected Contributor

@cindyNC wrote:

I just finished a series by  V.M Burns........cozy mysteries about a women who owns a mystery bookshop.   The funny part is that in the book, she occasionally mentions other myster authors and I've read some of those also. 

The only thing I didn't care for is that the main character is writing a book, and the pages she is writing are included in the chapters...............I skip through those parts of the books. 

I read this series also and love it but I am right there with you about skipping through the parts where she is writing her own book. It is like several of the cozy mystery series that I read and love when they put recipes right in the middle of a chapter. I don't know why they don't put them at the end of the books.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

I forced myself to complete Down The Hatch by MC Beaton. It's book 32 in the Agatha Raisin Book. I've read the entire series and am sad to say this will be my last book. The author has passed away and a new writer has taken over. The recent books just don't seem the same, the characters have changed and not for the better. There are too many other books that I can read vs forcing myself to continue this series. It's been many years since I read the first books in the series that I may reread them at some point due to I really did enjoy these characters

I love the Agatha Raisin series and also her Hamish series. I am also sad that she passed and we won't be getting anymore of her books whcih she wrote. I feel like the ones coming out now fall really short so I am not reading them.

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Just finished "Street Lawyer" by Grisham. Really enjoyed it. Has a satisfying ending.

IMO, Street Lawyer and The Client were his best and I've read most of them.  Just finished The Judge's List.  It was OK but his plots tend to become repetitive.

This sounds a lot like my fave The Firm. Was it similar? Is it a movie I wonder?

Respected Contributor

This book has received such positive attention--but it is not for me at all.

I just am not drawn into the appeal of women gathering together during their periods.

Honored Contributor

I just heard that the movie version of Where the Crawdads Sing is out. Anybody know how to get it? Like, if it's just in theaters or what? Thnx