Valued Contributor

Re: JULY 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

The Golden Couple by Greer Hendricks 

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished Under Her Care by Lucinda Berry, such a twisted story with so many "monsters" it was hard to pick the worst of the bunch!  A mother who teaches her Autistic child to fake his diagnosis so the mother could   be in the spotlight as the "perfect" mother,  Or a daughter who would become so damaged when her mother drops her as her child, so he could devote all of her time and love to her other child, with all the damaged people nothing good will end this story until someone ends up dead!

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

Just finished Under Her Care by Lucinda Berry, such a twisted story with so many "monsters" it was hard to pick the worst of the bunch!  A mother who teaches her Autistic child to fake his diagnosis so the mother could   be in the spotlight as the "perfect" mother,  Or a daughter who would become so damaged when her mother drops her as her child, so he could devote all of her time and love to her other child, with all the damaged people nothing good will end this story until someone ends up dead!

Oh, my, I could never read this. What dreadful happenings. It upsets me just reading about it. (NOT your fault. You did what you're supposed to do-review a book. I just have a soft spot for these things.)

Honored Contributor

Today my hairdresser told me about a book she just read and loved. The Red Tent. I don't know. I read the summary and can't figure out if it's fiction, fictionalized or true? Anybody read it?

Esteemed Contributor

I have just returned from vacation and while away I started reading The Stand by Stephen King on my kindle. Excellent book!! 

I am not a fan of reading multiple books at once, but I am going to have to make an exception. I have a few library books that I brought home that I need to clear, and the Stephen King book is so darn enjoyable, that I must continue to read until I finish the story.

The TV show was pretty good but as all readers know, nothing beats a good book. 

Super Contributor

@Judaline , Yes I read "The Red Tent" about 12 years ago.  It's historical/biblical fiction. I remember I liked it even though I can't say as I remember much of the plot, just that it was set in biblical times.

I just checked and see that I gave it a 4 out of 5 Star rating and listed it in 'My Favorites' on my Library Thing page where I keep track of books I've read.

Another title by the same author that I loved is "The Boston Girl", which I read in 2015.

The former and current and still "MrsSweetieBear".
Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@CareBears Lucinda Berry can write some really twisted stories and this one sounds like no exception!!! I have read several of her books in the past, but this one sounds like one I will skip!!!

Honored Contributor

Magic Hour, by Kristin Hannah.  I cannot believe I missed one of her books, this was written back in 2006. 

Two sisters one stayed in their hometown and became the Chief of Police.  The other went to LA and became a successful psychologist.  Until one of her teenage patients opens fire on a room full of students.  Julia is released from the lawsuit but her practice is non existent now.

Chief Ellie as a 5-7 year old little girl found up in a tree with a wolf pup in her small town.  To describe this unknown child only one word fits "feral."  Ellie calls to her sister to come home and help her discover where this nonspeaking, dirty, malnourished abandoned child came from, and how as she been surviving in the woods alone.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

judaline.I read the RED TENT when it first came out and have its few times more. It is one of my favorite books.

you won't be disappointed,it's great! I believe it's based on     True events

Respected Contributor

I love historical books especially WW II and this was no exception.  Kristin Harmel's The Winemaker's Wife was a wonderful read.  A lot to keep track of but it all came together in the end.