Trusted Contributor

Re: JULY 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

I read three books recently.  All of them were good, although I would say none of them were utterly fantastic:

SUSPECTS by Danielle Steel - her latest romance novel, very typical of her style.

THE LOST by Jeffrey B. Burton - the third book in his series about his Human Remains Detection dog, Vira.  A lot more humor in this book, which I enjoyed.

THE BANGALORE DETECTIVES CLUB by Harini Nagendra - this book has been called a South Asian version of Alexander McCall Smith's Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency, and I do see the similarity.  However, McCall Smith's books are much superior, IMO.  But this is the author's first mystery book and she does show a lot of promise.  The first half of the book was very good, and then the second half was just fair.  I'd be willing to give her second book a try.

Today, I am going to the library to pick up two new books from authors I really enjoy:  

THE HIDDEN ONE by Linda Castillo and HOLY CHOW by David Rosenfelt.

Respected Contributor

Just finished my 2nd book by Jill Hannah Anderson The Hell-And-Back Book Club.  A sort of sad but then happy book. 

Respected Contributor

@insomniac2  THE CHAIN is one of my most favorite ever!  I also belong to a zoom book club that focus on mysteries and psychological thrillers.  We just completed THE ISLAND by this author, truly an outstanding book, you'll love it!

C4A4ACFB-3B6E-4653-A5FC-A3644C48E3A4.jpeg

Respected Contributor

Born to Shop, I'll definitely check out McKinty's other books.Thanks for the suggestion--I'll read that first!

Respected Contributor

@BornToShop  Glad you enjoyed the book. I read his other books and loved them. Could not read this one. After 50 pages I gave up. 

Regular Contributor

The Club - it was fantastic

Also, a series by John Connelley - not Michael Connelly.

I love the characters.  I've read all of the books and am looking forward to the new one "The Furies" which is coming out here in the US in Sept.

Valued Contributor

I am reading Legacy of Silence  by Belva Plain. So far just an ok book I have always enjoyed her other books, so I am hoping this one will improve.

Super Contributor

I've read all of the Pickett books, and hope you enjoy this one as much as I did.  I read them in order, and (if you like this one) you should, too.  His family dynamics change as the girls grow up,  I like that everyone is not the most beautiful, smartest, best shot, bravest, etc. in this book.  For me, Box's characters are more like people I know.

Trusted Contributor

Just finished Tess Gerritsen's latest LISTEN TO ME aRizzoli&Isles mystery. She never lets me down! A great read,as usual!

Honored Contributor

@lork wrote:

I've read all of the Pickett books, and hope you enjoy this one as much as I did.  I read them in order, and (if you like this one) you should, too.  His family dynamics change as the girls grow up,  I like that everyone is not the most beautiful, smartest, best shot, bravest, etc. in this book.  For me, Box's characters are more like people I know.

@lork 

I am still reading the first, Open Season, and my opinion changes from chapter to chapter!    At first, I got the impression that Joe Pickett is a buffoon, and not very bright.   Then, as things unfold, maybe not.   I am trying to not compare this character to main characters in other books.   Maybe it's just the heat getting to me. lol