Esteemed Contributor

Re: JULY 2021 LET'S HEAR ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE READING

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@icezeus wrote:

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

Just finished Red Book (James Patterson and some other author) which is a sequel to Black Book.  It was not bad, 3/5, maybe 3.5/5, but not as good as Black Book IMO.  LM

@Lilysmom1 

How disappointing. I have this book available for pickup at my Library.

@icezeus , it is still a good read but I thought the first one was better.  Do read it amd let me know what you think.  LM

@Lilysmom1 

Will do. I picked up some books yesterday and I have 4 renewals on The Red Book.  I have a little time so  I will read it in a few weeks.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I haven't been able to log in for a while, so I have a long list of books that I have either read or will be reading soon:

HOSTAGE by Clare Mackintosh - a good thriller, with an unexpected ending!

PUP FICTION by Laurien Berenson - the latest in her Dog Show cozy mystery series.  Always good; one of my favorite cozy series.

THE KEEPERS by Jeffrey Burton - the sequel to last year's THE FINDERS about a golden retriever who does human remains detection work.  Not as good as the first book; I thought it dragged a bit.

THE FIANCEE by Kate White - I am currently reading this thriller and it is very good!

I got a huge slew of brand new books from the library, all coming in at the same time, of course.  I have lots of reading to do!

DOG EAT DOG by David Rosenfelt

FALLEN by Linda Castillo

9 LIVES by Danielle Steel

THE BONE CODE by Kathy Reichs

CHOOSE ME by Tess Gerritsen

Happy Reading, Everyone!

Respected Contributor

@smoky22 , the series was very well done.  Some of the streaming services offer a free trial period.  If you decide to try that, watch it and let me know what you think.  It's been long enough now for me to enjoy the book.  I will save it for one of those times I am in book limbo at the library.  LM

Respected Contributor

I read The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman.  It got sort of mixed reviews on Amazon.  I thought it was suspenseful and very entertaining.  I was never bored with it.  Some reviews said the main character acted stupidly.  Well, sure.  That's what created the suspense.  Anyway, I liked it.       

Esteemed Contributor

I'm starting "Red Bones" by Ann Cleeves. This one has Detective Jimmy Perez in it and takes place on the island of Whalsey, Shetland. Seems to be another good book by Cleeves. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

I am reading The Love Story of Missy Carmichael.  At first I wasn't sure, but then I kind of started to relate to it-(her). It is early days yet as it is a lengthy book, but it's getting better all the time. I do dislike going back and forth in time, but the 'back' part is brief and I'm enduring it. Why should I endure it you say? Because I like the book!. If you're young you will have no interest, so don't bother, lol. You can look it up and see what you think. I think @dawg lover would like it. 
Thanks to whomever suggested it. It takes a little, just a little, while to get into. Don't dispare!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just read a really good psychological thriller:  I don't Forgive You by Aggie Blum Thompson.  It is her debut novel and goes outside the realm of the usual formula for psychological thrillers.  I will be adding her name to my favorite authors from my library, so that I get notice of any new books!

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Murder in the Church, book 5 of the Arnold Landon mystery series, by Roy Lewis.  This was my favorite book of the series, with book 4 being my least favorite. 

Arnold Landon is a planning officer in a small village in England.  He is also a historian with a specialty of ancient buildings and ruins.  In this book, churches dating back to the 1200's, ancient religions, and gypsies all play a part.  I enjoy books where I learn something of significance and this series always has that.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

Just finished Jane Kirkpatrick's The Healing of Natalie Curtis, an ARC, which I won on LibraryThing. 

It was rich in details about Native Americans and their music in the early 1900s and how Natalie Curtis made a book and recorded songs of the Native Americans for preservation so people would never forget.  It was an interesting read and a type I've never read before.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished PERFECT CRIME by Helen Fields. I guess it is a series. I found it slow reading. I skipped 100 pages near the end and it was like I missed nothing…not what I consider a great read. I won’t be looking for her next book. LM