Honored Contributor

Re: JULY 2021 LET'S HEAR ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE READING

A Year at the Chateau - ****** and Angel Strawbridge - 

****** and Angel Strawbridge of "Escape to the Chateau" - write about the events leading up to the purchase of their chateau and the first year of renovating and living there!  So enjoyable!  I just love the show and adore these two!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

I read Riley Sager "The Last Time I Lied" several months ago. It was OK, but not great. 'Survive the Night" has 29 on the hold list, so it must be popular. I think I'll pass on it, though. 

I've noticed many books with the same premise: people stranded on an island, resort, chateau, etc. with a killer among them. Some are interesting, others not so much. It mostly depends on how interesting the characters are and the style of writing.

My next book is 'Miss Julia Takes Over." by Ann. B. Ross. I liked the first Julia book and hope that this is just as good. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

I am still plugging along with reading The Red Book by James Patterson and David Ellis. This is the second book in the series and I must say that the first book The Black Book was more intense and captivating.

I have been running up to Los Angeles for the last several weeks which is about 75 miles from my house, my aunt had a serious surgery so I have had to check on her with my brother who lives in Los Angeles. She has no children, so we have both been doing the best that we can while both still working. My free time has been greatly curtailed which has put a damper on my reading.

I have found that when I do have free moments, I am too tired to read more than a few chapters. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished books 2 and 3 of Imogen Plimp's Claire Anderson mysteries, The Easter Sunday Slaughter and A Frame of Murder.  Both were good cozy mysteries, taking place in Galway, Maryland.  The books would have probably been exceptional if the recipes that Claire made were included.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

Hello Everyone!

I see I haven't been here since the beginning of the month.  Not sure where July went ... 

I haven't been that successful in my reading - a few books returned after reading a few chapters.

I pulled the tab on The Lost Apothecary by Sarah Penner.  Hidden in the depths of eighteenth-century London, a secret apothecary shop caters to an unusual kind of clientele.  It made a good sleeping pill!

Eternal by Lisa Scottoline.  I was really salivating to read this one.  It was a good story line, but just a little predictable to me. 

Four Winds - Kristn Hannah.  It was good, but again, reminded me of The Grapes of Wrath.  By 1934, the world has changed; millions are out of work and drought has devastated the Great Plains.

For our next book club, we will be reading Euphoria by Lily King.  I'm not familiar with the book or author.  A breathtaking novel about three young anthropologists of the 30s caught in a passionate love triangle that threatens their bonds, their careers, and ultimately, their lives.  Hmmm ... 

Happy reading!

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl  The Easter Sunday Slaughter was a cozy???? Could have fooled me! I laughed when I read your post.

Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

I read Riley Sager "The Last Time I Lied" several months ago. It was OK, but not great. 'Survive the Night" has 29 on the hold list, so it must be popular. I think I'll pass on it, though. 

I've noticed many books with the same premise: people stranded on an island, resort, chateau, etc. with a killer among them. Some are interesting, others not so much. It mostly depends on how interesting the characters are and the style of writing.

My next book is 'Miss Julia Takes Over." by Ann. B. Ross. I liked the first Julia book and hope that this is just as good. 

I know. Are they all trying to do Agatha Christie or something? I also see a lot of "three girls or three sisters" themes-going back in time to read about each of their lives. Dislike that a lot. It's the different strokes thing and that's fine. That's the way it should be.

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline  Sounds crazy, but it is definitely a cozy mystery.

Respected Contributor

Another book read in 2 days.  I just finished Leah DeCesare's Forks, Knives and Spoons.  It's not about utensils, per se, but about a system that 2 college women used in the 1980s to "rate" men they met.  Very cute book.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Death on the Boardwalk (Myrtle Beach Mystery Book 1) by Caleb Wygal.  This was an ok book, figured out who did it fairly early on, but there were many mentions of local places that might be of interest to those who enjoy MB.