Respected Contributor

Re: JULY 2021 LET'S HEAR ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE READING

I just finished what may be my favorite read so far this year, "Sold On A Monday". In short, it's about a reporter in 1931 who happened on a house with two kids outside holding a sign reading "2 children for sale". The story about families during the Great Depression and the things they had to do to survive. I finished it in two days time, couldn't put it down, even losing sleep to read it.

Respected Contributor

@SWEET , I am 200 on the waiting list for Midnight Library.  LM

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@SWEET , I am 200 on the waiting list for Midnight Library.  LM

@Lilysmom1 

Good luck trying to get it soon.  I got lucky and someone left it in my Little Free Library.  Otherwise I probably wouldn't have read it since I haven't been to my local library in almost 6 years when I retired due to my overwhelming bookshelves due to wins and my own LFL. 

Respected Contributor

I finished Survive The Night by Riley Sager.  It's a wild ride, but I thought it was preposterous and full of cliches.  The many references to old movies felt like filler material and making it seem like a screenplay just didn't work for me.  This author has quite a following, so if you love his books, you will  probably like this one too. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Murder at the Snowed Inn, by Imogene Plimp.  This was a very good cozy mystery, book 1 of the series.  Claire Anderson moves from Brooklyn to Galway, MD, and opens a B&B.  Almost immediately, there are a few murders, and the plan is for Claire to be next.  While the book was very good, it would have been just a bit better if Claire's recipes had been included.  All through the book, Claire cooked and baked delicious-sounding recipes.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Another book read in 2 days.  Laurie Gelman's Yoga Pant Nation.  I wished I read the first two first to get an idea of how it all started since her son was 10 and the first book started in kindergarten, when I think she became a class mom and others things I know I missed but I don't like reading a series backwards.  It was a fun read.

Honored Contributor

Finished SHIVER by Allie Reynolds, it was quite good!

Valued Contributor

I have been on a reading binge lately.  I have been lucky that all of my titles have been good choices. In Band of Sisters Laura Willing, volunteers from Smith College travel to France during WWI. They organize relief for French villagers, whose lives have been destroyed by the German Army.

An Unwanted Guest (Shari Lapena) involves a group of travelers whose weekend stay at a Catskill Mountain inn is ruined by a fierce snowstorm and a murderer.

For Your OWn Good (Samantha Downing) is set at a prestigious high school with both ambitious students and competitive teachers.

Super Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

I finished Survive The Night by Riley Sager.  It's a wild ride, but I thought it was preposterous and full of cliches.  The many references to old movies felt like filler material and making it seem like a screenplay just didn't work for me.  This author has quite a following, so if you love his books, you will  probably like this one too. 

I agree and will go even go so far as to say it was AWFUL!  Just glad I didn't buy it and only annoyed I let it take up a spot on my very limited "Hold" option on e-books through my library's Overdrive program. 

The former and current and still "MrsSweetieBear".
Respected Contributor

Just finished The Sanatorium by Sarah Pearce.  Goodreads rates it 3.43/5*.  I agree with the rating.

It is a story about a cop on stress leave who visits a resort to celebrate her brother's engagement party.  There is a murder.  The resort is cut off by an avalanche and the search for the killer is on.  LM