Respected Contributor

Re: JULY 2021 LET'S HEAR ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE READING

Just finished Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid.  Now I want to read her others.  I love family books and this one was wild and crazy.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished the four-book Willa Bay series by Nicole Ellis.  This series is one to just get lost in for a few days, with young women finding their niche and going for it.  The main character was Celia, a senior citizen who brought these women together.  Nothing outrageous in the series, just easy to read and doesn't clutter the mind.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Super Contributor

Anxious People by Fredrik Backman. Loving it. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I finished Magic Lessons by Alice Hoffman.  Set in Massachusetts during witch trials.  3.5/5 for me.  An enjoyable read.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished "The Red Address Book" by Sofia Lundberg. 

The story revolves 96 year old Doris, who lives in Stockholm, Sweden. Her only family is her grand niece, Jenny, who lives in San Francisco. They keep in contact with Skype. Doris writes down her memories in an old address book which was given to her as a child. 

The book changes from past to present, but the author writes so that is easy to follow the different scenarios.

It's very good. I liked reading about Doris's life and the events she went through. Sad, but is heartwarming at the same time. Four stars.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Open For Murder, book 1 of the Happy Camper Cozy Mystery Series, by Mary Angela.  I was hesitant based on the title, but the book was good.  Happy Camper is the name of the gift shop owned by Zo Jones and it is located in the Black Hills of South Dakota.  

It is Memorial Day weekend, lots of tourists, and Zo's best friend, Beth, has moved back from Chicago with her family to reopen her family's hotel.  After a power outage, Beth's main competitor is found dead, along with missing money.  

Another book where I have learned a few things, this time about SD and the Black Hills.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Family Renuion, by Nancy Thayer.  I love all her Nantuckett family coming together books and this one did not disappoint.  The only difference is Nancy seems to be trying too hard in making her books now politically correct.  I loved my barbies as a girl and do not think having them in the late 60's damaged me.  

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

I am reading "TENDER IS THE BITE" by Spencer Quinn, the latest in his Chet and Bernie mystery series.  Up next is the new Daniel Silva novel, "THE CELLIST."

Honored Contributor

Still reading NYPD Red, and also reading SHIVER by Allie Reynolds, it is really good!!!!!

Trusted Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

I just finished "The Red Address Book" by Sofia Lundberg. 

The story revolves 96 year old Doris, who lives in Stockholm, Sweden. Her only family is her grand niece, Jenny, who lives in San Francisco. They keep in contact with Skype. Doris writes down her memories in an old address book which was given to her as a child. 

The book changes from past to present, but the author writes so that is easy to follow the different scenarios.

It's very good. I liked reading about Doris's life and the events she went through. Sad, but is heartwarming at the same time. Four stars.

@teganslaw  I just finished this book last week and I too thought it was quite good. I recommend it to those who have not yet read it. I agree that it was sad but also hesrtwarming.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx