Esteemed Contributor

Re: JANUARY 2023 & HAPPY NEW YEAR. READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

@Judaline wrote:

I can't believe they're making a second movie of Fredrick Backman's A Man Called Otto. There already was one movie but it was foreign-pretty good. But this one stars Tom Hanks and I think he'll be really good. Now playing.

@Judaline 

I have a three day weekend coming up and I am actually considering going to see this movie. I like Tom Hanks, and for some reason watching the previews the overall grumpiness that he displays I find amusing. 

Respected Contributor

"A Thousand Years Over a Hot Stove," by  Laura Schenone, is a history book, as much as a cookbook.  It is beautifully written, well researched, and sometimes very uncomfortable reading about the 'civilization' of the Native American Indians, Mexicans, African-Americans, etc.  It is comprehensive, down-to-earth and insightful. 

A Thousand Years Over a Hot Stove: A History of American Women Told through Food, Recipes, and Remembrances

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

So far this year, this is my top book. Ususally I read mysteries.  Capture.GIF

Respected Contributor

@joviolin , thank you for the te ommendation.  On the list!  LM

Honored Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

I can't believe they're making a second movie of Fredrick Backman's A Man Called Otto. There already was one movie but it was foreign-pretty good. But this one stars Tom Hanks and I think he'll be really good. Now playing.

@Judaline 

I have a three day weekend coming up and I am actually considering going to see this movie. I like Tom Hanks, and for some reason watching the previews the overall grumpiness that he displays I find amusing. 

Let us know!!

Honored Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@Judaline 

I have not been to a movie since Thanksgiving 1995 when I saw Pierce Brosnan in Goldeneye.  But when I saw the scene's with Tom Hanks for this movie I started considering that I may need to change my ways.  It looks so gooood!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finished Sally Hepworth's The Things We Keep and it was so good! I really enjoyed it and she did a great job of bringing the characters to life..It reminded me so much of a movie I saw with Julianne Moore, where she was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimers as well.

I am now starting INVISIBLE by Danielle Steel.........

Regular Contributor

Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus.

A woman scientist faces inequality for women in the 1950's.  Working at the Hastings Institute her work is not given credit and loses her job.  She cooks by using her  home chem lab and winds up with a cooking show using chem explanations for everything she makes.  Again the producers are uncomfortable with her procedures

but her show becomes quite popular.

The Chemistry of Love by Sariah Wilson

A shy, nerdy cosmetic chemist falls for one of the company bosses.  She quits her job due to thinking there is a nonfraterization company po!icy so she can express her feelings only to find he is engaged. 

His brother helps her try to break up the engagement by pretending they are a couple as he always wanted what he had and he wanted to save his brother and the company from the gold digger fiance.'

A cute rom-com.

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@icezeus wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@Judaline 

I have not been to a movie since Thanksgiving 1995 when I saw Pierce Brosnan in Goldeneye.  But when I saw the scene's with Tom Hanks for this movie I started considering that I may need to change my ways.  It looks so gooood!!

I knew something was off when I saw the ad for this movie. Is A Man Called Otto = A Man Called Ove? Maybe I assumed too much? Anybody know? I plan to see it anyway, but I'm just having after thoughts?

Respected Contributor

The Shortest Years - Kelly Simmons

Schmutz - Felicia Berliner

Sea Glass Summer - Miranda Liasson