Esteemed Contributor

Re: JANUARY 2023 & HAPPY NEW YEAR. READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

@amyb wrote:

@LindaSal wrote:

@amyb I just love the Killing series though I have not read them all.  My favorite one though was as you mentioned "Killing Lincoln" and if you liked that read "Killing Kennedy" which was my 2nd favorite one.  You literally feel as though you are there!   I also have read "Killing Jesus"...........great series, I want to read the others too.

I love to read but I don't think I can keep up with you ladies.  I'm a slow reader, it usually takes me awhile to finish a book and I am one who can only concentrate on one book at a time.   I've gotten lots of ideas on here, thank you all Smiley Happy

@LindaSal Not to worry about "keeping up" with me! I too love to read but am a slow reader! Some I fly through quicker than others.

The Killing books are well written...perhaps at some point I will read some of those others too.

@LindaSal 

As already mentioned don't worry about "keeping up". This thread is for book enthusiast. We learn and get ideas from everyone. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have just finished The Mark (The Beast Rules the world #8) by Tim Lahaye and Jerry B. Jenkins. This is part of the Left Behind series. I would give this book 3/5 on Goodreads. 

Honored Contributor

Run Rose Run, by Dolly Parton and James Patterson.  A young girl leaves her backwoods home of Arkansas and sleeps in the park while hitting all the bars to sing the songs she loves to write.  This young singer left behind an angry man who stalks her to Nashville where her luck turns and she becomes the protege of the almost Queen of Country. 

The Last Days Of Ptolemy, by Walter Mosley.  Papa Grey as he is called by many, blood family and family of the heart as lived the majority of his 91 years in his rent controlled apartment.  When his 2nd wife dies he just stops caring for anything as far as upkeep to his home.  Including, allowing the bathroom to stop functioning and finally having to sleep on the kitchen floor under some boxes.  His home is filled to the brim with junk and treasures.  He does have a wonderful great grandnephew who comes by weekly to help him shop and check on him.  But things go badly and Papa Grey finds himself alone until a very dear young girl swoops in and cleans that home out and Papa Grey finds the treasure in another's heart.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I am starting today The Scecrets of Midwives, By Sally Hepworth!!!

Contributor

Three excellent books ,all based on true people. Horse The Girl l Who in Silk The Personal Libraian
Honored Contributor

The Indigo Girl, by Natasha Boyd.  South Carolina in the year of 1739.  A sixteen year old girl is left in charge of her father's three plantations while he goes to fight for the crown to keep the new land for the king.  Eliza wants to grow indigo and harvest it for dye to sell to the French.  While running the plantation and doing a man's job Eliza soon looses possibilities to her mother's horror of prospects of marriage.  Eliza does not care, she loves the land and she wants better for the people who are enslaved by her father.  Eliza further disregards the laws and teaches her father's slaves to read. 

This is an historical fiction based upon a true woman, Eliza Lucas.  When she passed away in 1793 President George Washington was one of her pallbearers. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

My most recent reads are:

DEATH BY SMOOTHIE by Laura Levine - a new book in her Jaine Austen cozy mystery series.

KILLER CUPID by Laurien Berenson - a new book in her Melanie Travis dog show cozy mystery series.

THREE EDGED SWORD by Jeff Lindsay (author of the Dexter series.) This is the third book in his new series.  The first book, Just Watch Me, was fantastic.  The second book, Fool Me Twice, was disappointing.  I gave him a final chance on the third book, and thankfully, it was much better.

I have been making my way through the Karen Pirie mystery series by Val McDermid.  All six books are very good, with the exception of book 3, which can be easily skipped.  If you are a fan of Ann Cleeves, I think you would like this series too.  Their writing seems very similar to me.

Respected Contributor

@dawg lover  I looked up Val McDermid (had never heard of her) and the Karen Pirie books are quite popular and sound like they might interest me.  Some of the reviews said you could skip book one, as the main character is hardly in it. Did you find that also? 

Respected Contributor

I read Killers of a Certain Age (Deanna Raybourn) and despite the intriguing premise, thought it was just so-so.  Four aging, female ex-assassins find out they are not slated for retirement, but rather elimination.  There were some fun moments and it might make a better tv series.  The dialogue between the 60 year old assassins is often too juvenile.  Only one of the characters has any personality, the rest are hard to tell apart.  A disappointing read for me.  I was hoping to like it better.

Trusted Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@dawg lover  I looked up Val McDermid (had never heard of her) and the Karen Pirie books are quite popular and sound like they might interest me.  Some of the reviews said you could skip book one, as the main character is hardly in it. Did you find that also? 

@smoky22  - Yes, that is true.  She is a minor character in Book One, then the author decided to write more books about her.  She is also the author of the books that the tv series, Wire In The Blood is based upon, if you're familiar with that.  I read that you moved to Michigan; that must be quite a change. Brrr!