Esteemed Contributor

Re: JANUARY 2023 & HAPPY NEW YEAR. READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

Tonight I have just wrapped up Mad Honey by Jodi Picoult & Jennifer Finney Boylan. I really enjoyed the book and gave the book 4 stars on Goodreads. What kept me from giving it a full 5 stars was the back and fourth in time. I enjoyed it for quite awhile, but I got to a point where I became impatient with going backwards. I just wanted to keep going forward and finding out more information via the trial. 

There were a few surprises in the book that were unexpected. One of them once revealed toward the very end of the book I saw coming. 

Honored Contributor

@smoky22  Did you change your forum name? Seems like something is different. Just curious.

Respected Contributor

@Judaline  I just changed the numbers after my name (something more meaningful for me).   And I wanted to do a new avatar, and in the process lost the one I had been using so it's just the default now.  I didn't think anyone would notice, lol.

And by the way, I loved the Snoopy avatar you used to have.  Now you're channeling Gene Tierney.  I have never figured out what movie that picture is from, though. 

Honored Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@Judaline  I just changed the numbers after my name (something more meaningful for me).   And I wanted to do a new avatar, and in the process lost the one I had been using so it's just the default now.  I didn't think anyone would notice, lol.

And by the way, I loved the Snoopy avatar you used to have.  Now you're channeling Gene Tierney.  I have never figured out what movie that picture is from, though. 

It's from the movie, Laura. 1945

Do you mean this one? LoriLori loved it, too.

profile-picture-1446901145.jpg

Respected Contributor

Laura is my favorite movie of hers and I did not remember her with that hat. 

Yes, the avatar, I remember the sunglasses (that is Lucy, right?).

Honored Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

Laura is my favorite movie of hers and I did not remember her with that hat. 

Yes, the avatar, I remember the sunglasses (that is Lucy, right?).

I think it's Lucy!

Gene Tierney wore the hat when she came home from the country and found Dana Andrews sitting in her living room! I think she also wore it out to lunch-or was it dinner-with Vicent Price (a.k.a. Shelby Carpenter).

I think my favorite line in the movie was when Mark said to Shelby, 'it's too bad you didn't open that door Friday night, Carpenter!) hahaha. Meaning, whoever shot Laura shot her as soon as she opened the door. Only of course it wasn't Laura at all.

Respected Contributor

To go back to books (sorry folks), I finished A Bad Day For Sunshine and it was cute but went on too long.  I will probably read the next in the series, though, A Good Day For Chardonnay.   Will she finally get together with the guy she's loved her whole life?  

Esteemed Contributor

@Stelladorable wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

We Were The Lucky Ones, by Georgia Hunter.  The true family events from this author.  Georgia had no ideal that her grandfather, his siblings, and his parents who were all born in Poland suffered from the hands of the Nazis.  This Jewish family had three generations at the time of Hitler's hatred trying to stay alive and stay together. This was a compelling book that I could not put down and absolutely broke my heart on so many pages.  Just like all books from the Holocaust will tear your heart out. 

This remaining family of cousins from that original group of siblings still come together at Passover from many countries all over the world. 

I read this a couple of years ago and it stayed with me. Miraculous and amazing. One of the elders in that group is a rabbi and lives in my state. 

Highly recommend 👍👍

Hi everyone. I've been trying to come back to the board because I miss you all very much. I've been reading lately, not as much as I used to but I am enjoying the books I've discovered.  I found this thread about We Were the Lucky Ones. I read it some years ago. I loved this book so much, I gave it five red stars which is the highest I go. I think I may have read it twice. 

I hope you're all doing well. Enjoy your winter and I'm so glad you're all reading good books. Stay well! 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Without A Trace, by Danielle Steel.  This one reminds me of her work several years back which was more like fluff.  A man falls asleep at the wheel goes over a cliff into the ocean.  Door of the car pops open and he escapes and swims to shore.  Climbs the steep mountain (in dress shoes since he is bookoo rich) and walks for several miles, injured.  Finds a lone cabin with a woman residing there alone and that night is magical.  Please!!  While left in his former life a social climbing wife who only needs him for his money and status.  

Lessons In Chemistry, by Bonnie Garmus.  It is the 1950's and 1960's and women are only supposed to go to college for one thing to get their degree of Mrs. Yet some want more and are stopped in any way possible including being beaten and sexually assaulted.  This book is heartwarming, breaks your heart, and makes you fall over laughing at the same time.  The next door neighbor of this single parent scientist is someone I would love living next to me.  Elizabeth our main character as no desire to marry finds herself pregnant and alone.  But she does have an exceptional child who at the age of 4 is reading high school level, an ugly family dog named 6:30 who picks "Mad" up from school and the neighbor Harriet who thinks all babies are sadists.  But she as four children of her own.  Elizabeth is fired from the lab but the male scientists keep coming to her home to help them with their work.  Elizabeth cannot refuse them she needs the cash.  

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

The last 2 books  I finished were:

Barr None by Amy Impellizzeri which I wish I didn't finish.  Small print and it was so hard to read but the book wasn't worth it in the end.

One Italian Summer by Rebecca Serle.  I really loved it.  I also enjoyed The Dinner List by her also which I read a few years ago.