Super Contributor

Re: JANUARY 2023 & HAPPY NEW YEAR. READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

@beckyb1012 I hear you.  I have the same problem with my library. I'm grateful for what is available but big chunks are missing out of series and back lists of some of my favorite authors.

I thought e-books through Overdrive and then Libby would be better but unfortunately that is not the case.

The former and current and still "MrsSweetieBear".
Esteemed Contributor

@MrsSB wrote:

@beckyb1012 I hear you.  I have the same problem with my library. I'm grateful for what is available but big chunks are missing out of series and back lists of some of my favorite authors.

I thought e-books through Overdrive and then Libby would be better but unfortunately that is not the case.

@MrsSB 

Have you checked with your library to see if they will purchase the books or let you choose books to order.

My Library system had a program last year, and this year as well, where they let the patrons pick books to be purchased. There are a few stipulations. The book cannot be one that the library system actually carries, the book cannot cost more than $30.00, and the book must be available to purchase on Amazon. I have one that I ordered that I have at home now. I have 4 renewals on it, and when I return it I must hand carry it into the library.

Esteemed Contributor

I finished listening to AGE OF VICE by Deepit Kapoor. I really liked the first 2/3 (3/4?) of the book.- it was gritty and violent. Richly written characters - the narrator reeled me into their world.  But, the end, IMO, introduced more characters and set up for a sequel rather than provide a satisfying conclusion. I've since read that it's meant to be a trilogy.  I will probably read them all.  I will say that I've seen this under the "mystery" genre, and I'm not sure why.

I'm now listening to something that I selected merely for it's title. Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@SWEET wrote:

@Stelladorable wrote:

I just finished My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell. This was a book I started and stopped a couple of times before finally getting hooked and surging through it pretty fast. Very interesting story of a woman who realizes some hard truths about her first and only love from the age of 15- her literature teacher at a Maine high school. Her teacher "loved" her back and impacted her life years later in ways I didn't see coming.

Sometimes difficult to read, the subject matter isn't pleasant, you learn the truth as it dawns on Vanessa. I really liked it and I'm glad I finished it.

@Stelladorable 

I wasn't sure if I was going to like this book or finish it but I really did.  I actually gave it 3.5 stars on GR.  it was a very disturbing book though.

@SWEET  I read the book, too, and gave it 3 stars on Goodreads.  Sounds like you gave it 3.5 stars in a review but for an actual rating, I'm curious if you went down to 3 or up to 4?   

@smoky22 

3.5 was my rating!  I use my own system on GR since you can't give 1/2 stars.

Trusted Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

I finished Daylight (An Atlee Pine series #3) by David Baldacci. I am just really disappointed with this series. I really enjoyed the first book, however  the series has  become boring.  There is only one book left to read, but I really do not care at this point. I will not be finishing the series. 

I rated the book 2/5 stars on Goodreads. 

This is when I am reminded how happy I am that a majority of my books come from the library and no out of pocket expense for me. 

Respected Contributor

I am a couple of hundred pages into A Thousand Splendid Suns.  I am enjoying it so far.  

Respected Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

I finished Daylight (An Atlee Pine series #3) by David Baldacci. I am just really disappointed with this series. I really enjoyed the first book, however  the series has  become boring.  There is only one book left to read, but I really do not care at this point. I will not be finishing the series. 

I rated the book 2/5 stars on Goodreads. 

This is when I am reminded how happy I am that a majority of my books come from the library and no out of pocket expense for me. 

@icezeus  I couldn't agree more.  He dragged this series out so much I also lost interest.  I skimmed the 4th book, and believe me you don't have to bother.  

I was starting to feel that way about his Memory Man series, but the last one was a lot better so there's hope for that one.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am about 1/3 of the way through HESTER by Laurie Lico Albanese.  It's described as the imagined origin story to The Scarlet Letter.  The main character has synesthesia, the ability to see words as colors, which is useful in her skill in embroidery, but was also seen as witchcraft by some in those days.  Nathaniel Hawthorne is a character in the book.  Not sure how authentically portrayed he is, but the story is interesting so far.     

Super Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@MrsSB wrote:

@MrsSB 

Have you checked with your library to see if they will purchase the books or let you choose books to order.

My Library system had a program last year, and this year as well, where they let the patrons pick books to be purchased. There are a few stipulations. The book cannot be one that the library system actually carries, the book cannot cost more than $30.00, and the book must be available to purchase on Amazon. I have one that I ordered that I have at home now. I have 4 renewals on it, and when I return it I must hand carry it into the library.

@icezeus 

At one time I had luck with that happening with one or two requests.  But it was with physical books.  Now that I can no longer read those and need e-books so I can enlarge the print 100X (slight exaggeration), I haven't had much success in putting in recommendations. 

The former and current and still "MrsSweetieBear".