Valued Contributor

Re: JANUARY 2023 & HAPPY NEW YEAR. READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

I just finished My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell. This was a book I started and stopped a couple of times before finally getting hooked and surging through it pretty fast. Very interesting story of a woman who realizes some hard truths about her first and only love from the age of 15- her literature teacher at a Maine high school. Her teacher "loved" her back and impacted her life years later in ways I didn't see coming.

Sometimes difficult to read, the subject matter isn't pleasant, you learn the truth as it dawns on Vanessa. I really liked it and I'm glad I finished it.

Valued Contributor

Last night I finished Just the Nicest Couple by  Mary Kubica. It's a great mystery with twists and relatable characters, especially the English teacher.Smiley Wink

Today, I am reading A Thousand Ships by Natalie Haynes. I taught both The Iliad and The Odyssey on the high school level, so I am interested in the point of view of this book.

Trusted Contributor

pateacher,I agree,JUST THE NICEST COUPLE was a excellent reed!

Honored Contributor

Finished The Younger Wife, By Sally Hepworth, it was really good!!!!! A quick , excellent read.

I am now starting The Mother's Promise, also by Sally Hepworth!!! It has very high ratings on Goodreads!

Trusted Contributor

Just now finished WISH YOU WELL by David Baldacci. This was written around 2000, never new about it. What a excellent book. Nothing like his usual mystery's. This is a story of two siblings who are forced to move to the mountains of Va.  from New York to live with there great grandmother. A heart warming story,wish he would write more like this.

Super Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN I've read several of Hepworth's and enjoyed them all. I think "The Mother in Law" and "The Good Sister" are my favorites so far. 

I'm hoping my library will get her latest due out later this year "Soulmate".

The former and current and still "MrsSweetieBear".
Esteemed Contributor

I finished "The Hunting Party" by Lucy Foley. 

A group of friends gather together in a remote Scottish lodge to celebrate New Year's Eve. One doesn't make it out alive. 

I liked this book. The characters were interesting, though at times it was difficult to imagine how they became friends. Sometimes they acted as if they didn't like each other. But the book was fast paced, had good descriptions of the Scottish highlands and everything was wrapped up in the end.  Not great writing, but kept my interest. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Stelladorable wrote:

I just finished My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell. This was a book I started and stopped a couple of times before finally getting hooked and surging through it pretty fast. Very interesting story of a woman who realizes some hard truths about her first and only love from the age of 15- her literature teacher at a Maine high school. Her teacher "loved" her back and impacted her life years later in ways I didn't see coming.

Sometimes difficult to read, the subject matter isn't pleasant, you learn the truth as it dawns on Vanessa. I really liked it and I'm glad I finished it.

@Stelladorable 

I wasn't sure if I was going to like this book or finish it but I really did.  I actually gave it 3.5 stars on GR.  it was a very disturbing book though.

Respected Contributor

@SWEET wrote:

@Stelladorable wrote:

@Stelladorable 

I wasn't sure if I was going to like this book or finish it but I really did.  I actually gave it 3.5 stars on GR.  it was a very disturbing book though.

@SWEET  I read the book, too, and gave it 3 stars on Goodreads.  Sounds like you gave it 3.5 stars in a review but for an actual rating, I'm curious if you went down to 3 or up to 4?   

Honored Contributor

@MrsSB wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN I've read several of Hepworth's and enjoyed them all. I think "The Mother in Law" and "The Good Sister" are my favorites so far. 

I'm hoping my library will get her latest due out later this year "Soulmate".

I am so fed up with my library, I loved The Mother in Law and that was the last of Sally's books they have bought.  Same thing for Samantha Downing, just her first one.  We have a new city librarian and she seems to enjoy science fiction.  I guess I am going to have to actually buy some books but I am cheaper than dirt!!  

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."